1998 GMC Jimmy Directional Signal problem, makes blinking sound w/o signal on (MORE)

drlabatts
06-09-2004, 12:02 PM
I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy; as of late, it has been giving me problems with what appears to be the right directional signal. When I start the truck, the sound emits from what appears to be the right speaker, as if the directional signals are on. However, when I press the break the sound stops. The directionals and bulbs work when normally engaged to the left or right. I have been told that could be a flasher or hazard relay. To be honest it is driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated.

99GMC_Jimmy_Guy
06-14-2004, 03:11 PM
I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy; as of late, it has been giving me problems with what appears to be the right directional signal. When I start the truck, the sound emits from what appears to be the right speaker, as if the directional signals are on. However, when I press the break the sound stops. The directionals and bulbs work when normally engaged to the left or right. I have been told that could be a flasher or hazard relay. To be honest it is driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 99 Jimmy, its been doing the same thing for two years. The problem gets worse (more often clicking) when its wet or raining. I have replaced the signal flasher, as this is where the noise is coming from, no change, $26 later :( After some looking and asking frineds, I belive the problem is from the past owner and the blob of electrical tape on the trailer wiring. I am going to cut off the previously created mess and see what happens. Have a look for previous trailer wiring and replace / repair.

19984x4
06-22-2004, 02:33 PM

Had this problem exactly. I removed the signal lever assy. as a unit from steering column (can be done with out removing steering wheel use a torx bit and a 1/4" wrench) remove tiny screws holding assy together, removed cover plate, spray contact cleaner into assembly to remove any grease and metal particles from electrical contact area, applied dielectric (DC4) grease to contacts(using artist brush) and re-assembled unit. Problem has never returned. ***Note first attempt without using grease the problem returned 1 year later***.

I believe the problem is cause by the grease getting contaminated with tiny metal filings causing the contact to short out enough to make the blinker assy tic but not enough to flash the bulbs.

ski2me
07-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Had the same problem on my 98. I had to replace the signal lever assembly. Cost me a little over $200

xokayxo
07-09-2004, 03:59 AM
i've discovered that when i leave my signals on for over a minute my dash dings at me as if my door is open or i'm not wearing my seatbelt. is this a safety feature or cause to worry??

JimLib
10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
I had exactly the same problem, flasher continued to flash after the signal light cancelled. I pulled the turn signal switch apart (you may need 2 sets of hands to reassmble, it gets a little tricky to reassemble) cleaned all contacts, more specifically in behind the mechanical part of the signal switch mechanism, (I beleive this is where the problem was) clean with contact cleaner, regreased everything with dielectric grease, reinstalled it and everything worked great! Suggest having service manual to help you remove and reinstall panels, emergency brake cable etc...
Hope this helps, feel free to email if you have any questions!

Good luck!

Sandy1970c
10-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Had the same problem on my 98. I had to replace the signal lever assembly. Cost me a little over $200
This is a safety feature. The bells will sound if your signal is on for more than 1/2 mile.

Sandy1970c
10-24-2005, 02:18 PM
This is a safety feature. The bells will sound if your signal is on for more than 1/2 mile.

krissee
01-29-2006, 11:02 PM

I am having the same problem can someone please please please let me know what is going on, before I take a hammer to the passenger side dash. The SOUND is driving me MAD!!!

RudeRam
02-13-2006, 11:21 AM
ok I'll Chime into (pardon the pun) I am having the same problem I'll try the flasher unit first then I'll take signel lever off and clean it

krissee
02-13-2006, 08:23 PM
oh please let me know what it is, some say its the flasher and the dealer tells me its the relay module that needs to be reset. And of course someone else says its a short. But i dont wanna hand it over to the dealer for $92 an hour for the relay module when its just the flasher. I am finding it is not doing it as much latley for if I play with the lever it will stop.

Guess you will be the Guinea pig

Thanks

blazee
02-14-2006, 02:21 AM
There are too many individual questions for this thread to be useful. If anyone needs assistance, please start your own thread. You can do so by clicking here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=179

Add your comment to this topic!