Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Three items to reduce oil consumption. Is this a fair deal?

tenderidol
06-08-2004, 04:29 PM
As with all other 98-99 Rodeo models, my 98 Isuzu Rodeo (78 K, 2WD) has been using some oil... Through searching this forum, I decided to get something done to reduce it. At this point I would like to ask your opinion for the following items and the price that Isuzu dealer quoted.

1. Replace the PCV valve - $66.30 (including parts)
2. Clean the EGR valve, tube and passages - $85
3. Decarbonization cleaning to take care of carbon residues, etc… - $174

Are these reasonable prices for these services? Unfortunately, I am not a “do it yourself” type of guy, so that’s not an option.
How about taking the truck to other shops? Are the items outlined above can be done “safely” in locations like PepBoys, Firestone, etc for less?
Thanks very much for your replies in advance!

Mike72771
06-08-2004, 04:50 PM
1. Replace the PCV valve - $66.30 (including parts)

A PCV valve can be purchased at Autozone for under four bucks. If your not sure on how to replace it I bet the guy at Autozone would run out to the truck and pop it in for free. It's literally a fifteen second job. For $66.30 they better be tossing in some sweet pillow talk.

The EGR cleaning dosn't sound too unreasonable if your not a DIY guy.

I'm sure someone else will chime in about a gas aditive for the carbon (if they hav'nt already :smile: ) while I was typing 10 words a min.

Dober89
06-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Cleaning the EGR sounds quite resonable to me, as far as the PCV valve goes though, for 66 bucks it better be made out of solid gold!!

mrprogrock
06-08-2004, 04:59 PM
That's way too much for a PCV valve. You can buy one for a few bucks at an auo parts store. Replacing it only takes a minute. The EGR cleaning isn't too hard to do on my 1994 ,,,I don't know about the 1998 though.

tenderidol
06-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the replies... In this case, the PCV valve replacement will be performed at somewhere else.
Should I only ask them to do EGR cleaning ($85)?
What's with the "decarbonization" cleaning? Too much as well? Necessary? Can be done somewhere else?
Thanks again!

95.5 Rodeo
06-08-2004, 07:10 PM
1). I'll do it for $49.95- including parts!
2). $85.00 sounds fair at the dealer, although its not that big of a job. You should have it cleaned, considering the mileage on your vehicle.
3). I've heard good things about BG 44K total deposit control fuel additive. Just dump it in the fuel tank before filling up. I am planning on trying it in the future on my Rodeo. $19.95 for an 11 ounce can. Available here:

http://www.ec-securehost.com/RynoPerformanceProducts/Featured_Products.html

You may find it for less elsewhere.

Good luck,
Dale

amigo-2k
06-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Do 2 and 3. #1 you can do yourself (check out my FAQ link below).

#3, they will probably hook up a can of cleaner to the fuel line. I would say go for it. If you plan to keep your truck another 78k it will be worth it. After you do #3, I would recommend adding a bottle of chevron Techron concentrate (9 bucks at Target) every 3k to help keep the carbon down.

-Ryan

amigo-2k
06-08-2004, 07:55 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/849pcv-med.jpg

photo of the PCV, brownish/redish

Cat Fuzz
06-08-2004, 08:52 PM
On the PCV valve job: You getting charged for a full hour of labor even though it only take 15-20 seconds to do. Alot of dealers round up to a full hour.

tenderidol
06-08-2004, 10:10 PM
photo of the PCV, brownish/redish
Thanks very much for the picture. Since I know what it is and where it is, I will go ahead and replace it myself :biggrin:

I will call the dealer tomorrow and ask what the "combined" #2 and #3 would cost. I am hoping that the rates they told me were individual repairs... Well, since it's a dealer, I am not hopeful that much about a discount, but I will try...
I will also ask about the details of each item. If they are not going to do something very extensive for #3 (i.e., similar to what you mentioned), then I may only go for #2.
Thanks!

tenderidol
06-09-2004, 08:10 PM
#3, they will probably hook up a can of cleaner to the fuel line. I would say go for it. If you plan to keep your truck another 78k it will be worth it. After you do #3, I would recommend adding a bottle of chevron Techron concentrate (9 bucks at Target) every 3k to help keep the carbon down. -Ryan

Alright... I called the dealer again today and asked if all #1, 2 and 3 were done together, would it make any difference in terms of what I was quoted yesterday. Well, apparently there is no "labor overlap" between all three items. Yeah right!

So, I will replace PCV valve myself.

Apparently as part of the decarb service, they hook "something" to the fuel line and flash all the carbons, as well as manually clean the necessary components. It is not just pouring a gas treatment to the tank :p Should I still go for this for $174? EGR cleaning and decarb service together will cost me $260. I DO want to keep my truck for another 78K (heck until it dies on me). If this will be something beneficial in the long run, I wont hesitate doing it...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

surferfletch
06-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Those look like aftermarket coilpacks, Amigo. Are they?

amigo-2k
06-09-2004, 08:32 PM
nope those are the coil packs from a VX. Same as the Trooper/Rodeo/Amigo but their red.

As for the decarbon, I say go for it. It will be worth it.

-Ryan

rodeo02
06-10-2004, 08:28 AM
That PCV valve looks a bit different too- like it just pushes into place, held by a grommet. The PCV valve on my 2002 threads into place. It's got a 3/4" or so nut at the base that I had to attack with a crescent wrench. I did a EGR decarb, throttle body clean-out and a PCV valve & line clean out last week on my 2002. It took less than 15 minutes & cost about $3. This time I used a can of "CRC Air Intake Cleaner" from advance auto (for fuel injected & teflon coated throttle bodys). Everything is nice & shiny again :smile: . I've found it helps to have the truck warmed so the spray cleaner evaporates & doesnt pool in the intake when you clean around the throttle plate & EGR outlet tube. There's not much you can do about the carbon in all the nooks & crannies inside the intake- aside from pull the top off the upper intake & clean it all out by hand / throw it in a parts washer. I pull off the EGR valve & spray out the EGR tubes with the truck not running- but mine has not been really plugged, so it works well that way. Give the PCV line a spray with the truck running to ensure that is clean. It's a good idea to do this cleaning just before an oil change in case you get any solvents & gunk into the oil. Your truck may start hard the first time after a good cleaning until all the cleaner evaporates! G/luck
Joel

tenderidol
06-12-2004, 07:32 PM
I replaced the PCV valve (with an Isuzu part). Per recommendations of the people on this board, I also used Sea Foam... Added 1/2 can to the fuel tank and 1/2 can to the oil (drove around ~3-4 miles and had an oil change).
Apparently, there is one more place that Sea Foam can be applied: While reading the instructions on the web page for the Sea Foam, it says that "With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line". So in my Rodeo, where do I feed this from? The PCV valve?
Any other recommendations/suggestions for the use of Sea Foam through injection would be appreciated.
Thanks!

suvguy
07-10-2004, 10:34 PM
For the cleaning, just grab a can of the Amsoil Foaming Engine cleaner and a bottle of the Amsoil PI Gas Additive from http://www.oilwerks.biz (click onine store then click on the engine additive link). That stuff works better than SeaFoam and Chevron Techron combined. Used a whole can of the foam cleaner down the intake and blew it out on the highway and used the 16oz bottle of the PI additive on a full tank of gas and what a difference it made! Should run around $15 or so with shipping. Good stuff.

Add your comment to this topic!