Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My Alarm Goes Off For No Apparent Reason

fastrails
06-08-2004, 12:12 PM
I have a 1998 Rodeo 4WD, the alarm would go off for no apparent reason. I was gone for the day, and it kept on going off(according to the cops). Long story short, it got towed and I had to shell out $270(big ones). I read in one of the posts, that you need to put in the 2-3 washers behind the two screws that holds the tailgate switch. Could you elaborate more on this alarm problem? Do you need to open up the tailgate panel to get to it? Also is there a way to permanently to disable it(if needed)? Thanks in advance.

V

ponchonutty
06-08-2004, 08:23 PM
That fix is only if that's the problem. You need to check ALL of the pin switches to see what is the faulty one. Does the domelight ever come on when you drive around?

fastrails
06-09-2004, 11:56 AM
No, the domelight doesn't come on when I drive. The alarm doesn't go off all the time, just once in a while for no apparent reason. This time it hit home pretty hard($270). I would fine just to disable the stupid thing too. I heard that I maybe able to disable by using the door lock instead of the remote lock. Is there any truth to that, or doesn't apply to Isuzu?

That fix is only if that's the problem. You need to check ALL of the pin switches to see what is the faulty one. Does the domelight ever come on when you drive around?

ponchonutty
06-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Oh, well the disarm wire is yellow/blue in drivers kick in a white plug. Maybe if you unplug it, it wouldn't go off?

2eyefishclaw
06-10-2004, 10:08 PM
that would be the hood switch not the tailgate switch
if it were the tailgate switch you would have a dome light comming on also (same switch) and possibly low battery charge at times

blk4runner
06-11-2004, 05:03 AM
I have a 1998 Rodeo 4WD, the alarm would go off for no apparent reason. I was gone for the day, and it kept on going off(according to the cops). Long story short, it got towed and I had to shell out $270(big ones). I read in one of the posts, that you need to put in the 2-3 washers behind the two screws that holds the tailgate switch. Could you elaborate more on this alarm problem? Do you need to open up the tailgate panel to get to it? Also is there a way to permanently to disable it(if needed)? Thanks in advance.

V

I have the same year car as you with the same problem. I figured out that the hotter or colder it was outside the faster it would go off. Another family member got a 2001 so I looked at hers and took notice that her hood button had more spring to it. I removed the button from the car and it stopped the alarm from going off. The button is on the left hand side under the hood near the hing. Hope this helps.

ponchonutty
06-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Yeah, forgot about the hood pins!!!

fastrails
06-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the all the replies everyone, I will give it a try.

V

recon1
06-29-2004, 05:29 PM
until reading this thread I thought my wifes 98 rodeo was possessed. It went off driving down the road sometimes. really annoying. There was no pin switch in the tailgate, but the hood switch seems to have been the grimlin. People look at you funny when you drive by lights flashing and horn blaring on and off.

Add your comment to this topic!