Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

nothing but problems

99yukonjunk
06-08-2004, 11:57 AM
I bought a 99 used yukon, about 18 months ago and I've had nothing but problems, my fuel pump has gone out twice, I had to put a new transmission in, and it still dosent shift right. My airbag light comes on and off, and my service engine soon light, comes on from time to time, I have almost 80k miles on it. Is this normal or did I just buy a lemon?

GMMerlin
06-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Part of the problem my be you..
If you had to replace the trans and the truck still doesn't shift right why are you here on a public forum bitching? If it was me, I would be raising hell with whom ever installed my trans.
Have you had the codes pulled for the SIR and PCM to find out what the cause of the problem was?
Did you have an aftermarket fuel pump installed or did you have it done at the GM dealer..( some GM parts are covered under a lifetime warranty if replaced at a dealer...if the part fails, GM will install a new one no charge to you)
Sorry to be so harsh, but remember when you buy used you are purchasing someone elses problem...hope you got a warranty with it.

99yukonjunk
06-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Part of the problem my be you..
If you had to replace the trans and the truck still doesn't shift right why are you here on a public forum bitching? If it was me, I would be raising hell with whom ever installed my trans.
Have you had the codes pulled for the SIR and PCM to find out what the cause of the problem was?
Did you have an aftermarket fuel pump installed or did you have it done at the GM dealer..( some GM parts are covered under a lifetime warranty if replaced at a dealer...if the part fails, GM will install a new one no charge to you)
Sorry to be so harsh, but remember when you buy used you are purchasing someone elses problem...hope you got a warranty with it.

Unofortunately, I did not purchase a warranty because, my loan would not allow for it. Im taking the car sometime this week to AutoZone for them to run a computer diagnostic on why my "service engine soon light" is on, and I will have them check the codes for SIR and PCM, althought I have no idea what the heck that is. As far as my transmission goes, I took it to Aamco and after having it repaired everyone told me I should have never taken it there, but I panicked because I have kids that I take to school, so instead of getting a second opinion, I took their word that my trans needed to be rebuilt and paid them $2000. Luckily it is still under warranty so I am going to take it back. And my fuel pump was also under warranty from the first time I had it repaired so I did not have to pay again. Anyhow wether the car is under warranty or not does not make a damn difference, my complaints arent for what I have had to pay to have it fixed, but for the fact that the damn thing is falling apart and it's not even that old, and Gmc's and Chevy's are supposed to be good cars, but I've been hearing people having alot of problems with them. I really prefer chevy's over any other make, but I think next time I might buy a Ford!!

Vroom2
06-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I think GMMerlin's comments came out a bit more harshly than he intended. Since you didn't know the history of the truck before buying it, it's really hard to say whether or not it's a lemon. My guess is that it simply led a very hard life at the hands of the previous owner(s).

I know it doesn't do you much good now, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Aamco. One of the folks on my team at work is on his third transmission from them. The problem seems to be that they use junk, and then replace junk with more junk, ad nauseum.

Just an opinion, but I'd avoid Aamco like the plague - consider that "lifetime" transmission a sunken cost and move on. Likewise, avoid AutoZone or any of the places who specialize in selling discount parts. No disrespect intended, but I'd recommend finding a good shop. Take your truck there for a thorough inspection and estimate of what needs to be done. If you don't know of a good shop, ask your local Chamber of Commerce, co-workers, schoolteachers...etc, etc...for a recommendation. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Take care,
Jerry

vandenali
06-09-2004, 08:02 AM
hey junk,

I have a 99 yukon denali for about 2 years, I had no Problems at all with it, I Think the truck is great, I got mine used also but it only had 18,000 on it at the time, now it has 31,000.

proably the guy before u did not take care of it as well as he should have.

GMMerlin
06-09-2004, 10:07 AM
You must remember that an automobile is a piece of equipment (machinery) and odds are that some part of that piece of machinery will fail at some point in time.
The causes of the failure could result from neglect, abuse, lack of proper maintenance and even just a bad part.
I'm no expert, but a LEMON is a vehicle (mostly new) that has the same problem at least 3 times in a given period of time.
Anytime someone purchases a used vehicle (or piece of machinery), they must assume that there is a higher than average possibility that there may be something wrong with it (why does the previous owner want to part with it?)
Case in point...My wife purchased a 99 Suburban with 78000 miles on it...I check it out and note some minor problems, but nothing that would keep me from saying that this wouldn't be a good vehicle.......a week later, the trans tears up (actual failure...broken reaction sun gear and carrier, which resulted in cracking the trans case)...she screams LEMON!!!! I explain the machinery theory..she doesn't like it, but understands.
A few hard parts and seals, I rebuild the trans and she is back on the road...total cost for parts 400.00

Now onto your problem...IMHO AAMCO is a rip off, I have torn down a couple of transmissions they "rebuilt"...I'll leave it at that...Hopefully you will have better luck.
Now with the SES and SIR lights.
Autozone can pull the codes for the SES light with their code reader...Get the code and post it here on the forum and I can help you and lead you to the correct repair.....(I'm thinking that the code is going to be trans related, but I'll wait until you post the code?
On the SIR light, you will need to see someone who has the knowledge and ability to diagnos and repair problems with the SIR system (most likely a dealer)...this is a system that you don't want to monkey around with if you don't know what you are doing....it can lead to a "BAD DAY"
Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need some help

99yukonjunk
06-09-2004, 12:18 PM
I think GMMerlin's comments came out a bit more harshly than he intended. Since you didn't know the history of the truck before buying it, it's really hard to say whether or not it's a lemon. My guess is that it simply led a very hard life at the hands of the previous owner(s).

I know it doesn't do you much good now, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Aamco. One of the folks on my team at work is on his third transmission from them. The problem seems to be that they use junk, and then replace junk with more junk, ad nauseum.

Just an opinion, but I'd avoid Aamco like the plague - consider that "lifetime" transmission a sunken cost and move on. Likewise, avoid AutoZone or any of the places who specialize in selling discount parts. No disrespect intended, but I'd recommend finding a good shop. Take your truck there for a thorough inspection and estimate of what needs to be done. If you don't know of a good shop, ask your local Chamber of Commerce, co-workers, schoolteachers...etc, etc...for a recommendation. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Take care,
Jerry

Jerry,
Thanks for your kind reply, I will let everyone know what is wrong with it as soon as I find out.

99yukonjunk
06-09-2004, 12:28 PM
hey junk,

I have a 99 yukon denali for about 2 years, I had no Problems at all with it, I Think the truck is great, I got mine used also but it only had 18,000 on it at the time, now it has 31,000.

proably the guy before u did not take care of it as well as he should have.
Thanks for your reply I'm glad to hear that you've had no problems with your yukon, because I really love chevy/gmc's. I dont want to beleive that they are turning into junk, and I plan to purchase another chevy/gmc in the near future.

99yukonjunk
06-09-2004, 12:50 PM
You must remember that an automobile is a piece of equipment (machinery) and odds are that some part of that piece of machinery will fail at some point in time.
The causes of the failure could result from neglect, abuse, lack of proper maintenance and even just a bad part.
I'm no expert, but a LEMON is a vehicle (mostly new) that has the same problem at least 3 times in a given period of time.
Anytime someone purchases a used vehicle (or piece of machinery), they must assume that there is a higher than average possibility that there may be something wrong with it (why does the previous owner want to part with it?)
Case in point...My wife purchased a 99 Suburban with 78000 miles on it...I check it out and note some minor problems, but nothing that would keep me from saying that this wouldn't be a good vehicle.......a week later, the trans tears up (actual failure...broken reaction sun gear and carrier, which resulted in cracking the trans case)...she screams LEMON!!!! I explain the machinery theory..she doesn't like it, but understands.
A few hard parts and seals, I rebuild the trans and she is back on the road...total cost for parts 400.00

Now onto your problem...IMHO AAMCO is a rip off, I have torn down a couple of transmissions they "rebuilt"...I'll leave it at that...Hopefully you will have better luck.
Now with the SES and SIR lights.
Autozone can pull the codes for the SES light with their code reader...Get the code and post it here on the forum and I can help you and lead you to the correct repair.....(I'm thinking that the code is going to be trans related, but I'll wait until you post the code?
On the SIR light, you will need to see someone who has the knowledge and ability to diagnos and repair problems with the SIR system (most likely a dealer)...this is a system that you don't want to monkey around with if you don't know what you are doing....it can lead to a "BAD DAY"
Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need some help
Hey thanks, I'll contact you as soon as l get those codes.

usscvr
06-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Hey - not to move in on your thread, but I, too, have some serious problems with my 99 that began after about 60K miles. I've posted it under "SES... Multiple Engine Misfire." I'd sure appreciate any feedback I can get.

USSCVR

i_am_ben
08-19-2006, 09:23 PM
That's usually a bad fuel injector...these trucks have a weird fuel injector that we call a spider injecter with plastic tubes. If you take it to a good shop they should be able to clean them out (and it is not just dumping cleaner in the tank), otherwise they might have to replace the whole spider injecter.

Add your comment to this topic!