Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Spec V torque steer gonna kill a noobie?

Bluppers
06-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Hey, I've read about eight million Spec V reviews and a couple billion threads on the infamous SE-R Spec V torque steer... Now I know everyone seems to have their own opinions as to how bad it is or how frequently it occurs so please stay civil. :)

I can drive stick but have never owned a manual trans. The spec v will be the toughest car we've owned too, but i love Nissans and i realllly want the spec V but was wondering (assuming the wild reports of spec v torque steer lie somewhere in between the "not bad" and "OMG HIDE YOUR CHILDREN" ) how hard it will be on a relatively new manual trans driver...

Also, just a side note, does this torque steer happen when auto review people wanna have fun and floor the gas off a red light or under normal driving?

fry_ed
06-07-2004, 10:15 PM
ive almost killed myself only twice. both times i was in the middle of a 90 degree right hand turn and decided to floor it. so just avoid that and you'll be fine...

fugiot
06-08-2004, 03:33 AM
Just hold the wheel reeeeaaal tight when you floor it.

Bluppers
06-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Yea so the TS is most dangerous when you're being most dangerous. heh.

just making sure i'm not gonna kill myself and a small child by tapping the gas. :biggrin:

shortysdrop
06-08-2004, 11:56 PM
One thing to know about the people who write auto reviews, they have their foot in the gas 95% of the time. Obviously hurling a car around s-curves at 80mph is NOT recommended (or in a dailly routine) but somehow always comes up in the test hmm......LOL

I don't think daily driving will kill ya, just go easy on the corners.

chris0276
06-09-2004, 12:19 AM
The torque steer really surprised me when I got my Spec V, but I owned a manual car before so it wasn't too dificult to get used to. Just remember one thing, don't floor it when your making a turn, because the torque steer will make the turn for you and it won't be in the direction that you want. You only have to worry about torque steer in 1st gear because that's where most of the torque is.

sr20de4evr
06-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Just don't punch it in the middle of a turn (unless you're holding the wheel very tight and you're prepared for it) and you'll be fine. I've swerved into oncoming traffic after flooring it through a left hand turn many a time, I don't recommend it.

NissanSE01
06-12-2004, 08:06 PM
if your smart about driving it shouldn't be a problem. I rather have a car that has the potential in torque that can do that. Obviously, if your already in a turn Don't go and floor the gas pedal. not the smartest driving technique there~ i experience torque steer on my SE when the tires start wearing out...and i enjoy it... feels like a powerful car.

Benelli5
06-12-2004, 08:49 PM
I too was supprised the first time I experienced this with my Spec V. My last car was a VW GTI 1.8T, not as much hp but also had decent amount of tourque. Never felt anything like the TS in the Sentra. I dont think it should be a factor as long as you know its there.
Just curious, does anyone know if this goes away with an aftermarket suspension set up?

sr20de4evr
06-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Just curious, does anyone know if this goes away with an aftermarket suspension set up?

It doesn't, suspension, motor mounts, new tires, nothing has helped mine

SUPERMANG
09-16-2004, 10:52 AM
ummm, my girlfriend can handle it. i wouldn't worry about it.

klohiq
09-29-2004, 07:25 AM
The torque steer isn't really that dangerous usually...but it does surprise you at first when you use hard acceleration to make quick movements in traffic or other tight situations...usually you won't be affected by it though...

I thought my old car (1998 cavalier...2.2L) had torque steer...on the test drive of my spec v I got to take it out without the guy from the dealership...I keep spinning the tires and having massive torque steer issues because I was used to pushing my cavalier hard to get decent acceleration...The cavalier would lightly tug at the wheel at the most...the spec v will literally rip the wheel from your hand if you keep on the gas...it's fun though haha :)

Test drive a spec v and find out for yourself...I didn't have much issues after the first month...really after the first two days your used to it...

Add your comment to this topic!