Evap core and expansion valve - 2000 Grand Caravan

rmcbri01
06-07-2004, 07:44 PM
2000 GC Sport with 58,000 miles - we're the original owner. Just replaced the evaporator core and dryer on the front air for $1000 at a local radiator/ac shop. I've been doing some reading today and found this to be a fairly common problem. Anyone have any luck or suggestions on attempting to deal with Dodge on this and get some $$ back??

Also, the rear air makes a rather loud hissing noise on a consistent basis. Shop didn't notice it when it was in for the other repair (how I don't know) but they said it might be the expansion valve. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance for the help.

rmcbri01
06-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Bump

Surely someone has some ideas/thoughts on this.

Thanks again.

self fixer
06-12-2004, 09:14 AM
2000 GC Sport with 58,000 miles - we're the original owner. Just replaced the evaporator core and dryer on the front air for $1000 at a local radiator/ac shop. I've been doing some reading today and found this to be a fairly common problem. Anyone have any luck or suggestions on attempting to deal with Dodge on this and get some $$ back??

Also, the rear air makes a rather loud hissing noise on a consistent basis. Shop didn't notice it when it was in for the other repair (how I don't know) but they said it might be the expansion valve. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance for the help.

My wife's 2000 GC has just started having trouble. She noticed intermittent "shaking" at the wheel while at idle and the A/C on. I found the rpm is "hunting" because the A/C compressor is cycling on/off at a fast rate. Hooked up to guages, even added a little R134a - blew excess out of compressor emergency release valve. Removed refrigerant back to original level - low refrigerant is obviously not the problem. (Low side runs ~50 psi - ran it all the way up to ~75-80 before overcharge relief valve released some refrigerant). Did yours start this way? I wonder if I have an expansion valve problem. Also, there is a procedure to extract trouble codes directly from the climate control panel lights (blinking codes from certain button LEDs) which is only accessible from the dealer (when they service, they use this function). Do you know anyone who has the codes for our vehicle. Lastly, what exactly do you know from your service to have been the catalyst for your trouble (i.e. evaporator core & dryer had to be replaced because of a large leak? contamination in the system? specified parts are known go bad at about 58K? [ mine has about the same mileage on it att) I can't afford alot of replacement guessing as I attempt this repair - just trying to gather all the info I can right now. Thanks, Tim.

rmcbri01
06-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Tim...All I know is that the shop called and said the evap core had a leak and needed replaced. All of this started late last summer when we started hearing an intermittent hissing type noise coming from the passenger side dash as well as from the right rear where the rear air is located. The noises often sounded like pressure being released from something, as well as an occassional "sizzling" kind of sound that would last 2-3 seconds. I had the freon recharged at the end of summer and then had to have it done again beginning of this summer and the noises returned about one month ago in both spots. Then three weeks ago the evap core went and blew all the freon.

Now the air is working again but the damn noises are still there. Shop has it again right now and they told me yesterday that the hoses appear to be working just fine and no leaks. They are going to wrap them in something called muffler tape to see if that will quiet the sounds. Beats the hell out of me.

Karen2002
06-26-2004, 09:29 AM
My wife's 2000 GC has just started having trouble. She noticed intermittent "shaking" at the wheel while at idle and the A/C on. I found the rpm is "hunting" because the A/C compressor is cycling on/off at a fast rate. Hooked up to guages, even added a little R134a - blew excess out of compressor emergency release valve. Removed refrigerant back to original level - low refrigerant is obviously not the problem. (Low side runs ~50 psi - ran it all the way up to ~75-80 before overcharge relief valve released some refrigerant). Did yours start this way? I wonder if I have an expansion valve problem. Also, there is a procedure to extract trouble codes directly from the climate control panel lights (blinking codes from certain button LEDs) which is only accessible from the dealer (when they service, they use this function). Do you know anyone who has the codes for our vehicle. Lastly, what exactly do you know from your service to have been the catalyst for your trouble (i.e. evaporator core & dryer had to be replaced because of a large leak? contamination in the system? specified parts are known go bad at about 58K? [ mine has about the same mileage on it att) I can't afford alot of replacement guessing as I attempt this repair - just trying to gather all the info I can right now. Thanks, Tim.

I started having problems with the A/C in my 2000 Grand Caravan last summer. I took it to a local Dodge dealer and they said they didn't hear the gurggling sound in the rear right and they also didn't notice the noise from the compressor. Since it was almost fall, I decided to avoid the problem until this summer.

I just paid $908.01 to have a new compressor, drying unit, etc. installed. A Dodge dealership did not do the work! This shop has seen more then a few Dodge vans with this problem. My car is only 4 years old. Too young for this type of major repair. I want to go to Chrysler and get them to address this problem but I need to gather documentation indicating a wide spread problem. Does anyone have any problems like mine?

Thanks!

rmcbri01
06-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Your problems are exactly like mine. I paid slightly more than you for the repairs - like you, at a non-Dodge shop. I called Chrylser/Dodge a few weeks ago to talk about this issue and they were less than helpful. Basically said there is no recall, no known issue with the Caravan in this model year and that there is nothing they could do in terms of honoring the expired warranty, etc.

By the way, I'm still having some of those gurgling and hissing type noises coming from the front and rear air compartments. The local shop said they have no idea what to try next. I think I may run it by a Dodge dealer soon to have their opinion.

alligator2
07-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I just had to change out my evap core and expansion valve. It seems that Dodge has a serious problem with these. My suggestion is to never buy a Dodge. I've had to spend over $2000 in repairs in the last 3 months. Everything from transmission sensors to a/c problems. None of the other message boards have so many repair issues as Dodge does. Our Grand Caravan has 81000 miles. Dodge has the best price on minivans but don't look for reliability. We have had small problems all along the way. If you buy a Dodge buy the extended warranty. Good Luck. Next time I will buy anything but a Dodge.

Add your comment to this topic!