Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking for these scale modeling books

Renegade
06-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Anyone owns this book and don't needs it anymore. Although I'm looking for digital format of this books like in PDF. Oh yea, the names :icon16:

- Building and Detailing Scale Model Muscle Cars
- Basics of Scale Automotive Modeling: Getting Started in the Hobby*
- The Modeler's Guide to Scale Automotive Finishes

I think all of them are from Pat Covert/Kalmbach Books.

Amazon don't have The Modeler's Guide to Scale Automotive Finishes anymore - out of production. But that's my most wanted one ...

mike@af
06-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Check out your hobby shop, they are about $20 USD. If someone were to copy the book online it would be illegal, but so is downloading.

Renegade
06-07-2004, 12:24 PM
my LHS didn't even heard about this books.
Hmm, illegal ... ups! then. Thought that this e-Books are just ordinary books in PDF. :icon16:

p.s.: I wrote the topic name in a hurry and messed thing up. It was meant 'Looking for these scale modeling books'. Can a Mod corrects this. Tnx!

Ferrari TR
06-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Here's a link to the publisher's site.
scale auto (http://store.yahoo.net/kalmbachcatalog/scale-modeling-books-automotive.html)

you might post on their board for out of print books too.
:p

mike@af
06-07-2004, 03:21 PM
my LHS didn't even heard about this books.
Hmm, illegal ... ups! then. Thought that this e-Books are just ordinary books in PDF. :icon16:

p.s.: I wrote the topic name in a hurry and messed thing up. It was meant 'Looking for these scale modeling books'. Can a Mod corrects this. Tnx!

Fixed. Maybe contact SAE for information?

Renegade
06-07-2004, 04:19 PM
SAE? Never heard of it ...

mike@af
06-07-2004, 05:27 PM
SAE? Never heard of it ...

ScaleAutoEnthusiast (http://scaleautoenthusiast.com/)

Renegade
06-07-2004, 05:48 PM
I'll check it right away.

MPWR
06-08-2004, 01:56 PM
The Modeler's Guide to Scale Automotive Finishes won't teach you anything you can't find here. Pat Covert believes in enamels, laquers, and Micro Mesh polishing kits- he's apparently never used (or maybe heard of?) acrylics. Or anything Tamiya. There's some decent photography, especially if you're into his tastes in building- American muscle and old clunkers. But if these aren't quite your thing, I'll refer you to the FAQ's and tutorials section.

He also very much writes from a 'one true path' position- as to imply there is only one way to get a good finish. Some of his tips are certainly good, but there are certainly other ways to go about it, with other products and other techniques.

If you can't get this one, don't sweat it mate. It's decent, but certainly not difinitive.

:2cents:

Renegade
06-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Well I can't get acrylics over here, so I'm also doing everything with enamels.
You know what's the strangest thing? You're the second one that suggested sticking with AF. :) And I'll do! :smokin:
But if there will be a chance to get any of this books cheap I'll take a look.

bvia
06-08-2004, 07:22 PM
He also very much writes from a 'one true path' position- as to imply there is only one way to get a good finish. Some of his tips are certainly good, but there are certainly other ways to go about it, with other products and other techniques.

:2cents:

I agree that there are several ways to do one thing, but it sure helps a newbie when someone spells it out for them in black and white, and Pat is VERY good at doing that.

Bill

Add your comment to this topic!