Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Yukon Auto4wd

revvin
06-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Can you have your Yukon on Auto 4wd all the time?

Vroom2
06-07-2004, 11:16 AM
The general answer is 'yes.' Can you provide more information about your truck, namely the model year?

Take care,
Jerry

tonytone
06-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting; IIRC on the OBS GM fullsize SUV/trucks, the owners manual states that Auto4WD can be used when the pavement isn't dry (e.g., wet conditions) but not highly recommended when the road is dry...but perhaps the Autotrac has been changed with the NBS vehicles.

I do know that at least in '03, GM offered a full-time 4WD option (not the same one as the AWD found on the Denali--the primary distinction between the two is that the full-time 4WD option has 4LO; neither option has a 4HI button, BTW) that eliminated the need for the Auto4WD button offered in the Autotrac 4WD option found in GM full-sized SUV/trucks, so I reckon it would make no sense for GM to offer that Auto4WD can be used all the time (i.e., wet and dry roads) if they have a fulltime 4WD transfer case option available which can be used on both wet and dry pavement...not that you can force the full-time 4WD to operate in 2WD mode.

Vroom2
06-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Tony - that's a good and interesting point. On my '02 Tahoe the sales person warned us against using the auto 4wd for extended driving. However, the owner's manual contradicted that advice.

Unless you have the need, it's probably wise to keep the vehicle in 2wd from a fuel economy standpoint, if nothing else.

Take care,
Jerry

revvin
06-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Can you have your Yukon on Auto 4wd all the time?
its a 2003 yukon xl I have the option auto 4wd/2wd/4wd(hi)/4wd(low)

Thanks

Vroom2
06-11-2004, 12:20 PM
It's probably safe to keep it in 'auto' but unless you have the need for it, you might want to keep it in 2wd., based on Tony's comments above. Do you have the owner's manual available? Also, I'd guess that 2wd would give you the best fuel economy. Good luck...

Take care,
Jerry

gene_sun
06-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey, tonytone,

I have a 04 Yukon SLT, on the sticker, it says it is "04 Yukon awd". However, it has a 4lo button just like you mentioned in your post. My sales person told me that it was just like Denali's AWD. I guess I got duped here?

thanks

tonytone
06-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Hey, tonytone,

I have a 04 Yukon SLT, on the sticker, it says it is "04 Yukon awd". However, it has a 4lo button just like you mentioned in your post. My sales person told me that it was just like Denali's AWD. I guess I got duped here?

thanks
You got the full-time 4WD version; maybe the full-time 4WD and the Denali AWD share some--if not many--of the same transfer case components, but option/RPO code-wise, they are not the same. Maybe one of the GM techs who post on this forum can better distinguish the mechanical differences between GM's full-time 4WD (not the Autotrac 4WD option) and AWD transfer cases, as found on the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon and Yukon/Denali/Escalade respectively.

I'll say this much--I wish the Denali had come with the full-time 4WD w/ available 4LO instead of AWD...or at least put in a limited slip or locking differential. If that salesperson told you that the Yukon full-time 4WD "was just like Denali's AWD"--ask him why the Denali doesn't have the 4LO button if such was indeed true...

You didn't get duped...you had the misfortune (not your fault) of having to deal with a salesperson who obviously doesn't know enough of the product he/she is attempting to sell.

rzkz8k
06-15-2004, 08:50 AM
RPO NR4 - AWD with 4 WD Low (AKA: AutoTrac)
RPO NR3 - AWD with out 4 WD Low (Denali)
RPO NP8 - Auto 4WD, 4WD, 2WD, 4WD Low

NR4 and NR3 use the same software algorithm to detect rear wheel slipage and put power to the front wheels, typically with in 300 ms.

Yukons come standard with limited slip rear unless the vehicle is equiped with Stabilitrac (begining in MY05, you can have limited slip with Stabilitrac).

Denalis come standard with Stabilitrac thus removing the limited slip rear and Stabilitrac is a option on the Yukons.

Hope this clears up the mess a bit.

gene_sun
06-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Ok. this makes sense to me now.

I guess I have NP4. On the sticker it says it is AWD with AutoTrac. I also have a stability button in my truck.

So, is what I have better or worse than denali version?

thx!

rzkz8k
06-15-2004, 12:48 PM
If your vehicle has Stabilitrak (RPO JL4) then you have the same drive system as in a Denali with the added 4 WD low feature.

tonytone
06-15-2004, 01:26 PM
IOW--you have it better than the Denali version, assuming of course you have a need for the 4LO...which in my guestimation will never be used by 95% (again, just a guess) of those people driving vehicles with 4LO capability.

the blur
06-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Yukons come standard with limited slip rear unless the vehicle is equiped with Stabilitrac (begining in MY05, you can have limited slip with Stabilitrac).

Denalis come standard with Stabilitrac thus removing the limited slip rear and Stabilitrac is a option on the Yukons.

so why couldn't I add a limited slip diff to my 03 denali ??
is it something with the stabilitrac???

tonytone
06-16-2004, 06:20 PM
so why couldn't I add a limited slip diff to my 03 denali ??
is it something with the stabilitrac???
My guess is that the answer to your second question would be "yes" if Stabilitrac was either not available at all or available as an option for the NBS Denali during the '02 or earlier model year...

rzkz8k
06-17-2004, 08:18 AM
tonytone - what does NBS mean as in "NBS Denali" ?

Thanks

tonytone
06-17-2004, 12:06 PM
tonytone - what does NBS mean as in "NBS Denali" ?

Thanks
NBS=New Body Style; body style for the full-size GM trucks/SUVs changed in '00.

And in case you come across this...OBS=Old Body Style ('99 and earlier, although I don't remember if there was a previous generation Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon prior to the one preceding the current NBS one).

denalio34ceo
06-17-2004, 03:27 PM
New Body Style

Vroom2
06-21-2004, 03:37 PM
We need more drivetrains. :) rzkz8k - thanks for sharing that info. 'NBS' stands for New Body Style, i.e. 2000-up on Tahoe & Yukon, 2001-up on Denali & Escalade.

Take care,
Jerry

tonytone
06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
If your vehicle has Stabilitrak (RPO JL4) then you have the same drive system as in a Denali with the added 4 WD low feature.
I thought the drive systems in the Denali and full-time 4WD Yukon were slightly different, from a mechanical/parts standpoint...but I could very well be wrong here. Otherwise, I'd be willing to bet that if the Yukon full-time 4WD option was available for the Denali, there would be more than a few takers for it.

rzkz8k
06-23-2004, 09:10 AM
The difference is in the transfer case and what GM calls each system. Denalis have AWD and Autotrac in the other vehicles. No 4WD low in the Denali, I wonder why they (GM) decided that.

Add your comment to this topic!