Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine light

Bruski
06-07-2004, 10:30 AM
My engine light comes on from time to time. Just a couple weeks ago I had it scanned and the code said something about the gas cap or filling the tank while the car was running. Reset everything and no problem for two weeks. Now it came back on again and I haven't gotten gas in a week so that can't be the problem. Anyone have/had this problem ? One other tidbit of info. I just go the upper manifold and lower manifold gasket replaced.

bonnegirl
06-09-2004, 10:58 AM
mine comes on to from time to time. I have ignored it for the most part. I have heard that sometimes the oxygen sensor has something to do with it to.

markwb
06-09-2004, 07:44 PM
You may have a fault in the EVAP system. Are you able to scan for a code? The integrity of the EVAP system may have been disturbed not allowing for proper function.

Flatrater
06-09-2004, 07:50 PM
On your car their is at least 100 different tests the computer runs. Sometimes the test starts as soon as you turn the key to run. But with the EVAP test the computer requires the gas level to be between 1/4 to 3/4 full anything more or less the test will not start. So if you filled up your tank to full the test will not start till it gets below 3/4 of a tank.

Most likely you have a DTC set of P0440 which is a small system leak. A dealer has a smoke machine that plugs into your gas tank fills the system up with smoke and the tech can find the leak by looking for smoke./

Bruski
06-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the replys. Actually, my mechanic does the scanning. He reset it again and advised me to replace the gas cap. I asked incredulously if he's seen gas caps go bad or cause this type of problem and he said yes, especially lately. So we'll start with the simple and go from there if the problem remains.

markwb
06-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Well, the gas cap could certainly be a possibility if it's not able to hold vacum.

Bruski
06-30-2004, 01:02 PM
No dice. Gas cap didn't do it. What's weird is the light didn't come back, for like two weeks leading me to believe it was fixed. Then, out of no where it comes back. All the code says is "small leak in evap system" or something like that. Mechanic says it's a difficult problem to find without the right equipment and to put a piece of electric tape over the light :) I may have to bring it to the dealer to get the smoke test done. Or just live with it.

Add your comment to this topic!