A/c and electric windows still working after key is turned off.

mujier
06-06-2004, 11:43 PM
I have a Buick LeSabre 1995 and the a/c and the electric windows stay working even after I turn the ignition key to off position and also after removing the key. My mechanic told me that there is some kind of conflict with the abs relay. So when we remove the abs relay the problem is solved but then the abs light stays on and I dont have abs.
Can anyone help please, because my mechanic cannt solve the problem.

tman
06-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Try this test, turn on radio, AC, etc. Turn the car off, remove the key. Operate windows to verify they work. Then open the door of the car, and close the door. Try to operate windows. They should not work. Radio, and AC should not work either. However, RCL button on radio will work.

You see, Buick designed the car so that the accessories will work for 10 minutes after the car has been turned off. After 10 minutes, the windows will not work, the radio will not turn on, nor will the AC/Heater work.

mujier
06-07-2004, 05:43 PM
I don't believe I ever saw any car GM or not to have accessories work after you turn it off. This is a malfunction and it was corrected this morning by disconnecting the battery and reconnect again and now everything work like it should.
Thanks for your feedback anyway.

tman
06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
I disagree, My park ave runs any accessory for 10 minutes after it is shut off, as long as you dont open a door. My family has owned over 10 Buicks in the past 5-6 years, and all have this feature.

Angels_Aurora
06-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I also agree. I have a 1994 Pontiac Bonneville, 1996 Buick LeSabre, & a 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora. All three cars have this same feature. After turning the car off and removing the keys, I am still able to roll up the windows and listen to the radio. The power goes off after 10 minutes or after a door is opened.

Jed Rule
06-08-2004, 06:16 PM
The Retained Accessory Power (RAP) relays continue to supply power to circuit breaker #1 (windows and sunroof) and fuse 8D (radio) for 10 minutes after the engine is turned off. Or untill one of the doors are opened. The A/C should not be running at this time.
The ABS relay isn't even in the same relay panel as the RAP. I don't see the connection. If it's not broken, leave it alone.

mujier
06-18-2004, 11:34 PM
It seems that the problem is back , disconnecting and reconnecting the battery work one time only, but now I still have the original problem.

10-23-2004, 03:48 PM
I have a 1995 Buick LeSabre Custom. Series 400,000 serial number. (Which I believe matters, as GM seems to of made a lot of changes to the LeSabre body type in 1995. My car includes some little tweaks from 1996 models that aren't listed as part of the 1995. Component locations, upgrades, etc.)

When I turn off the engine. Everything shuts down. Radio and blower fan included. Power seat moves, radio recalls, headlamps, park lamps, brake lamps, etc work. Power windows will only roll up with the key in the on position, engine on or off. Radio only operates in on and accessory modes.

Odds are the inclusion of the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) relay simply depends on what options purchased. There's a good chance the wiring exists in my car, I'd just have to pull the glove box and install the relay. When in doubt, look at the relay centers, labeling, scematics, etc to find where it goes. Then you'll know if the RAP relay is installed or not.

Most likely the relay would be installed in the relay center behind the glove box. The only relay on my 1995 LeSabre I've ever found that is not in that relay center, the fuse box, or the underhood Maxi/Relay block, is the door lock relay under the power drivers seat. (Under the carpet, pinned to the chassis.)

If I hadn't lost my factory service manual, I could provide more. Right now I'm combining a multi-year Chilton manual and the 1995 Buick Century factory service manual as needed until I find another set of LeSabre manuals. Anyone have a set they want to give up cheap?

Add your comment to this topic!