Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 Accord engine stumbles when warm

Steve316
06-06-2004, 10:24 AM
My daughter's 90 Accord LX starts and idles fine then after it warms up and the rpms lower it wants to stumble and die when you do anything but push very gently on the accel. pedal. it does fine except when you go to accelerate after a stop or if you have it in park and give it gas. I put a new fuel filter, plugs,wires, cap & rotor. Please, any hints?

x128phantom
06-06-2004, 09:57 PM
My daughter's 90 Accord LX starts and idles fine then after it warms up and the rpms lower it wants to stumble and die when you do anything but push very gently on the accel. pedal. it does fine except when you go to accelerate after a stop or if you have it in park and give it gas. I put a new fuel filter, plugs,wires, cap & rotor. Please, any hints?

The problem may be the transmission. could be slippage and overworn clutch. To fix this you may need to buy a new transmission.

carbonaccord69
06-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Try a diagnostic; I had a 1986 Accord that needed a new computer part that was telling the ecu that the car was still cold, so the fuel was too rich. My car would be flooded, and would not start for 5 minutes. Computer was about $200+diagnostic.

LeeH
06-18-2004, 10:24 PM
No check engine light on? Here's how to pull the codes from the computer. Read this info carefully and see what you come up with. The symptom you describe is the same that I was having when my ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor was bad.

The sensor sends a signal to the computer which adjusts the mixture based on the temp. When this sensor fails it usually only sends a bad signal when hot... and it tells the computer the car is cold which results in flooding and the symptoms you describe. Here's the link:
http://www.cybertrails.com/~bestinthewest/autotips/91acrdcodes.html

Add your comment to this topic!