Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What is tunning?

b18 ls
06-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Exactly what is tunning? I understand the concept, but don't realy know what goes into it, or how it helps the car create more power.....

shaunthebadass
06-06-2004, 05:01 PM
ok lets see if i can explain this quickly.
when you tune a car you mess with a part of the ecu. this part of the ecu you solder a piggyback chip into the circuit board that changes the tables that your car uses to figure out how much gas to unload at certain rpms and how much air to mix with this gas at the same rpms. also by using this you can change the rpms at which vtec engages.
a better explanation of this can be found at http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection5.htm
this should help you to figure it out

kicker1_solo
06-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Tuning...there is a never ending explanation to this. And it is so much more than just messing with your ecu. You can tune almost everything on your car, from your motor to your suspension. Tuning is adjusting things so you can get the absolute best performance out of it. Let's say you have adjustable cam gear on your motor, when you tune those to get your timing at it's peak performance, that is tuning. When you stiffen or loosen your suspension for the better, that is tuning.

b18 ls
06-07-2004, 09:45 AM
I read in a previous thread that tunning is one of the easiest ways to get more power out of a car. How much does something like this cost and do you need many mods to have a car tuned? Can you tune a stock car to make it better or will it be at it's best comming from the factory?

Doubletap
06-07-2004, 12:37 PM
You Tune your stock car by ading and adjusting aftermarket parts generally. A Stock car does not have many things you can mess with, they are all designed for the car they way the manufactorer wanted them to be. I answered a question of yours about the V2. Adding that would be tuning the intake system of your car for higher effinency increaseing its level of performance. Buying a set of lightweight 16in wheels with some sticky summer tires would be tuning the handling of your car etc. When it comen to things like the electronics you tune by adding aftermarket parts that let you adjust things like Shaun said above.

It is all about what you want your car to do the best and how you want it to do that.

DoubleTap

Add your comment to this topic!