Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dead Battery - Can't Get Into Trunk!!!

bllambright
06-05-2004, 05:13 PM
I have a 2000 S-Type. Took it to the car wash last weekend, brought it home to the garage and went on vacation for a week. Today, the battery is so dead that turning the key doesn't even create a click...no lights, no locks, no nothing. The car wash must have left a light on in the car and the battery drained completely while I was away. So I called AAA, they came and told me the battery is in the trunk. Well, the battery is so dead the trunk button doesn't work, and the key won't open the trunk! I've never had to use the key before, but it seems like it isn't going into the hole far enough...either way it won't turn even a little. Short of a tow to the dealer (which is something I REALLY loath the thought of doing because the dealer here is about as dishonest as they come)does anyone have any idea what to do to get this car running again? How do I get into the trunk or is there another way to jump start the car? Please help! I'm afraid the car will have to rot away in the garage unless I can figure this thing out! :-)

rmyAddison
06-07-2004, 11:05 AM
You should have more than one key, although they look very similar. I hvae a 2003, might be different, and one key is valet and will not open glove box or trunk. Try your other key(s), good luck.

dsmart1
06-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Use a battery charger that charges the car battery thru the cigarette lighter. There are a lot of Volkswagen OEM solar powered battery chargers like this up for auction on eBay. You might also check the local automotive supply houses to see if they have a cigarette lighter charger. The only requirement is that the cigarette lighter socket must be on in order to backfeed to the battery.

philmag1
03-23-2005, 08:27 PM
I don't think its the car washers fault, I have the same year car and my battery just died also. The other thing is my trunk release button on the dash and the trunk do not work, the only way I can open the trunk is with the key remote! Here is how I got to my battery though, climb in from the cab, lower the back passenger seat down and then the rear drivers seat and have at it. Good luck.

jecsd1
08-01-2005, 11:13 PM
jack up the car and hook a battery charger or a spare battery to the FAT wire on the starter and the neg cable to the chassis. The FAT wire goes directly to the battery. it is fused so dont try to start it that way but you will be able to open the trunk and operate the security system after that. Then disconnect it and jump start your car battery.

Add your comment to this topic!