Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Painting photo etched parts! HOW TO????

godfather23
06-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Hey everybody, donīt mean to bother you, but someone had a thread in which he talked about painting photo etched parts. I think it was a Subaru plate, which was explained how to paint it. I looked all over for that threat but couldnīt find it. Maybe somebody of you knows and can point it out to me, where I can find it!

Thanks

Macdaddy4738
06-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Hey everybody, donīt mean to bother you, but someone had a thread in which he talked about painting photo etched parts. I think it was a Subaru plate, which was explained how to paint it. I looked all over for that threat but couldnīt find it. Maybe somebody of you knows and can point it out to me, where I can find it!

Thanks

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial.asp?TutorialID=36&CurPage=1

there it is

godfather23
06-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Thank you, I knew I can count on you!!!

freakray
06-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Ummm.....the same 'How To' is right here on AF, maybe you guys should check out the "How To and Tutorial" thread in future....

Macdaddy4738
06-05-2004, 03:09 PM
yea. I just rememberd that i saw it on that one site. Its a good tutorial!!

bvia
06-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Guys,
remember that the above tutorial is just for badges and other small body pieces. To paint photo-etched wing endplates (and the like) you'll need to use a special primer (metal etching).
hth,
Bill

freakray
06-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Bill has a valid point there. :)

godfather23
06-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Well I know that there was something on here about that paint job. Thats the reason, why I apologized in the beginning of the threat. I was looking for hours, just couldnīt find it.

Bill has a valid point there. :)

Anyways any ideas to paint a badge with two colors (like ferrari badges with yellow and black). The instruction is just based on simple putting black in the back of the badge. Well, maybe somebody has an idea for that tiny problem???

bvia
06-06-2004, 09:23 PM
If it's the Cavallino (rampant pony) you're talking about, do the following;

1. Paint the entire part in a laquer or enaml based semi-gloss black (I like Model Master's Black Chrome) and let dry
2. Paint the entire part again in Tamiya acrylic Lemon Yellow and let dry
3. Remove the Tamiya acrylic paint with a q-tip dipped (but not totally saturated!) in acrylic thinner, Windex or IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol). Go slowly and you will end up removing the yellow from the horse only.

If you go too far, simply reapply the yellow and repeat step 3.

hth,

Bill

godfather23
06-07-2004, 09:08 AM
If it's the Cavallino (rampant pony) you're talking about, do the following;

1. Paint the entire part in a laquer or enaml based semi-gloss black (I like Model Master's Black Chrome) and let dry
2. Paint the entire part again in Tamiya acrylic Lemon Yellow and let dry
3. Remove the Tamiya acrylic paint with a q-tip dipped (but not totally saturated!) in acrylic thinner, Windex or IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol). Go slowly and you will end up removing the yellow from the horse only.

If you go too far, simply reapply the yellow and repeat step 3.

hth,

Bill

Great tip on this issue. Thanks a lot!!!! :)

Vric
06-07-2004, 09:14 AM
humm Tamiya TS series don't react with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner sorry...

also good luck to cover the black with Lemon Yellow :D

godfather23
06-07-2004, 03:34 PM

Pretty smart, Vric, but if you use simple acrylic paint on it, it might work. The one with the brushes!!!! :uhoh: So the idea was quite good, just a little thinking is neccessary...

bvia
06-07-2004, 07:16 PM

Humm...the incompatibility of the ENAMEL/LACQUER basecoat with the ACRYLIC thinner is what you are counting on(i.e. it will strip the top layer of ACRYLIC yellow, but leave the semi-gloss black on the raised portions).

Tamiya TS numbers indicate that the paint is a SYNTHETIC LACQUER spray can. So if you wanted to go that route you could simply paint the base with TS29 and then continue with the above tip...i.e. using X8 as the over coat and then using Tamiya ACRYLIC thinner (or IPA or Windex or Ammonia) to remove the X8 covering the horse and the outer lip, yet not strip the TS29 making the horse and outer lip semi-gloss black.

As for the coverage, I find that when X8 is brushed on, it covers quite well...but of course you could always go with a three coat system. TS29, X2 and then X8.

Anyways, the above has always worked for me...

Since there is no "one way" to do anything, what have you used in the past to get the desired affect, VRIC?

hth and TIA,

Bill

Add your comment to this topic!