Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whats so Wrong With the CityRover?

Ion Pulse
06-05-2004, 06:54 AM
I like the new CityRover. I does exactly what it says on the tin, offering good interior space with decent performance for under £7.000. So what if its built in India after all numbers were invented in India and the original TATA Indica on which it is based was styled at the Italian IDEA style institute. MG Rover may also be bringing a Estate and Saloon verions(based on TATA Indigo) and devising a MG 'Hot Hatch' version.

PJF220
06-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Shouldn't the title of this thread be WHAT IS RIGHT WITH THE CITY ROVER

Reduce the size of your text next time you post please I'm not short sighted or partially blind.

Reasons I don't like the City Rover:

I don't like small cars to start with so it has to be good to impress

Boot space is very small if you are a family with children or 4 adults going away on holiday.

The back seats are very near the back door with is worrying in a rear end crash

the tailgate has CITYROVER plasterd across it

It's a glorified metro

You just know MG will make a Z version which is just tragic.

It no doubt uses the K series 1.4....need I exapnd further on this point...head gasket failure iminent.

However, Rover do need a small car to compete. Though small car is such a stupid term these days, a new nissan micra makes a new vw beetle look small!!!! What's all that about, why is the new mini so big?

Ion Pulse
06-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Well if you dont like small cars theres no chance for the CityRover and MG Rover's long-term survival. :mad:

PJF220
06-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Thats not true!

MG make excellent cars. The MGZR, good boot space, decent size, yet small enough for town driving, the ZS is great too, I love the ZS180 saloon, looks brilliant, sporty yet practical too, would consider it when I need a change of car style. The ZT is a great car too. The Jaguar of the Rover fleet. Then of course, there is the MGTF, sporty, topless driving, though maybe a bit girly for me. The revised shape from the original is much more masculine.

As for Rover, the 25/24 and 75 are great practical cars and cheap to buy and run. One reason I own the 200 coupe Turbo is because it is a lot of car for little cash. I paid less than £2000 for a 200bhp car that beats off Scoobies, standard cossies and is faster top end than a porsche boxter. To buy an equivilant Nissan/Subaru/Toyota etc, I'd need 2 maybe 3 times the amount I spent on my car.

MG/Rover are here to stay long term in the new and used markets.

I just wish they would sort out a better engine, that K series is a nightmare, though they have improved reliability.

Ion Pulse
06-08-2004, 03:05 PM
The CityRover does'nt use a K-Series engine but a ex-Peugeot which has been upgraded to give better economy,performance and emissions. TATA have applied their engineering know-how as well and is proving to be a reliable engine unit in home market of India.

PJF220
06-09-2004, 11:50 AM
good to hear about the engine.

Actually, I completely forgot...I say I don't really like small cars, but I am just about finished restoring a Hillman Imp, a true 60's small car.

Ion Pulse
06-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Soundz good.

Add your comment to this topic!