AGTC - the new Trans Am

Layla's Keeper
06-05-2004, 12:47 AM
As motorsports jackass/entrepeneur Paul Gentilozzi drives the SCCA's Trans-Am series further and further into the ground by allying it with the ailing CART series and continuing to steamroll his competitors in the series, a new group sanctioned by the SCCA has started a new professional series for tube chassis carbureted V8 powered silohouette coupes called the American Grand Touring Championship. Using weight ballasts to balance out the differences between SCCA's GT-1 cars and ex-Trans Am, NASA GTA and TCC, and Grand Am AGT cars.

The focus is on competition and grassroots involvement. The car counts are building fast and the series has over 20 regulars. As regulars like Lou Giglotti and Boris Said leave Trans-Am for other series, mostly Grand Am and Speed World Challenge, and as Gentilozzi's Team Rocketsports continues to chase away competition the AGTC becomes a haven for these unique and inspiring machines.

http://www.americangt.com/

Help them grow, and help series founder Woodson Duncan heal the Trans-Am by amputating the Gentilozzi out of it.

kfoote
06-09-2004, 11:06 AM
It's definitely worth checking out if you're on the east coast. The racing is good, and the entire point of the series is to allow many different types of cars to race. Where Trans-Am has basically alienated the SCCA GT1 competitors, AGTC has stepped up and given the GT1 cars a pro series to run in where they can be competitive. They're running as a support series to the ALMS at Lime Rock 4th of July weekend, and knowing who's running, it should be a great race there.

Big Pat
07-22-2004, 07:58 PM
In order to produce a new big-bore/road racing successful series in the US, I think someone should give a long, hard look at the Australian V8 Supercar series.

The cars look like cars (not like pic-nic tables, like the current crop of T/A cars), the sound awesome (Big Bore V-8s, such a delight), they are fast and the racing is very close.

There are many cars that could be used right here in North America. The GTO (eh, it's even australian!), the CTS, the Mustang, the new 300C, even some imports like Lexus, Infinity, even BMW and Mercedes.

But it's time for me to stop dreaming, I guess...

Dreamspawn
03-15-2005, 10:00 PM
That would be killer^^ .

Jaguar D-Type
08-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Rocketsports Racing dominated most of last year's Trans-Am Series, but Randy Ruhlman has won two races, and Boris Said won the race in San Jose this season. Previous Trans-Am Series owners are also to blame for the current status of the Trans-Am Series.

AGT sounds nice, but the races aren't shown on tv.

I found this interesting...

July 15, 2005 11:28 AM

AGT cancels St. Louis Round of the Inter-Americas Championship.

We are sorry for the inconvenience to our teams sponsors and fans.

Next up will be VIR over Labor Day Weekend followed by Lime Rock. And the Islands.

On the Lime Rock note we advise all teams to make their arrangements now as resources in the area are limited.

Add your comment to this topic!