Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

rough running engine

trepka1440
06-05-2004, 12:10 AM
symptoms:

engine runs normal when first started, but as it heats to normal operating temperature (about 15 min.) it begins to run VERY VERY rough. Eventually the CEL comes on and the vehicle becomes inoperable (no power, backfire and will not get past approx. 10-15 mph) and will not start again until engine cools.

I've replaced wires, cap and rotor as well as fuel filter, could this be a timming belt issue or possibly an O2 sensor? This past winter I had a problem with strong fuel smell with CEL but engine ran great, although my fuel consumption seems to be poor.

ANY help would be appreciated!!!!!!

NocturN
06-06-2004, 07:38 PM
i had identical problem, took it to three mechanix and they coulddnt figure out what it was. Took it to the dealer and the factory certified techs determined that it needed a new distributor. took it back to my mechanic and told him to change out the distributor. problem fixed. btw, your authorized dealership service place is real good at diagnosing the problems, they also offer to fix it for a hefty price, which is why i took it back to my mechanic to have it done at a fraction of the dealers cost.

trepka1440
06-09-2004, 07:29 AM
that's what my mechanic thought(????) it was, but i didn't want to spend $600 for a new distributor for a ??? maybe fix. thanks for confirming !!!

IH8SPM
06-10-2004, 10:06 PM
get a diagnostic check for about a hundred and then go to the person of choice to get it fixed

JEEPMAN33
06-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Sounds like bad fuel injector(s). Cost $79.00 at Murrays Dicount Auto.

Just get an OHM meter and pull the cable off each injector.

Should read between 8-12 ohms. If its open the Ohm meter won't read anything. This is equivilant to a light nulb burning out, but not as cheap!

To change Fuel Injectors are pretty easy, as long as they are not the ones under the intake manifold. If they are bad and are under the intake, then you got a big job on your hands.

After finding the bad ones and changed them the CEL went off and the engine purrs like a Kitten!!!

eltigre
06-28-2004, 08:54 PM
symptoms:

engine runs normal when first started, but as it heats to normal operating temperature (about 15 min.) it begins to run VERY VERY rough. Eventually the CEL comes on and the vehicle becomes inoperable (no power, backfire and will not get past approx. 10-15 mph) and will not start again until engine cools.

I've replaced wires, cap and rotor as well as fuel filter, could this be a timming belt issue or possibly an O2 sensor? This past winter I had a problem with strong fuel smell with CEL but engine ran great, although my fuel consumption seems to be poor.

ANY help would be appreciated!!!!!!

I'd look at the O2 sensor...did yuou run codes??

dxrflyboy
07-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Start by retrieving the trouble codes. Chances are your symptoms are related. I would be concerned with the gas odor and bad gas mileage. You may have a leak in your fuel system, which could ignite.

Add your comment to this topic!