Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Audi RS 6 vs. the Beast M-5

fadiha
06-03-2004, 10:44 PM
I was wondering has anybody tried out the Audi RS 6, and compared it with the beast. Not that I'm looking for one, but are there similirities ?

91300zxtt
06-11-2004, 04:22 PM
the rs6 crushes the m5. however if u mean the new m5 supposedly with like 500 hp reverse that statement

ell_d
06-12-2004, 07:20 PM
I like BMW's, but the RS6 is the mother of this luxury super fast breed. It could be said that the BM has a little more character, but a car that can go around an island at 90mph, and stay on the inside lane all the way around just cant be overlooked.

Plus, you can chuck the kids, and the dogs in the back of an RS6, I dont think my dog would give me a thanks for chucking him in the boot of an M5.

As far as "the beast" goes... I think MB's S65 AMG is more of a beast. You just cant argue with a 625bhp limo really.

Dr.Gonzo
10-27-2004, 02:49 AM
The RS6 is much easier to modify b/c it's a twin turbo V8 and in the past turbo's have seemed to respond better to modifications than N/A cars. I could be wrong about the M5 however the N/A 500hp V10 might have something up its sleeve also.
One thing nice about the RS6 is the quattro which makes it nice in the snow and quick launches.

FikseGTS
10-27-2004, 09:23 PM
The RS-6 is overpriced and really not that fast when compared against the E55 and the upcoming M5..... If AWD is a must, then the RS-6 is your car.... but as with most AWD cars, you'll do great off the line.... but will suffer the power losses later on....

in every test the E55 blew the RS-6 away, no comparison.... the real comparison will be the new M5 vs the E55.....

Menu dei Motori
11-03-2004, 08:00 AM
moved to car comparison

christophv
11-03-2004, 12:54 PM
well the price for a 500hp V10 is pretty unbeatable with that M5, but I tend to take the RS6.

btw. a much better comparo would be Mercedes CLS55 AMG vs M5.

A carmag here (Auto Motor & Sport Magazin) did it recently... the CLS won, though it has less hp and is more expensive. the CLS and M5 were even in sprint, only from 100-200 the M5 is faster by a second or so (due to it's high revving engine)

only advantage of that M5: it always says 500HP/V10 with a smile :)

cu

NISSANSPDR
11-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Eh RS6 only comes in auto...so M5 anyday

DinanM3_S2
11-03-2004, 03:17 PM
7-Speed SMG :)
I believe Autocar compared the E60 M5 with the Quattroporte and the E55 and they had the M5 destroying.

I thought the CLS Class was a little more luxurious and a bit less sporty then the 5-series, and I seriously doubt it drives as well, or is as fun to drive. I'd take the E60 M5 any day over the E55, RS6, CLS55, etc... IMO, this is the best sedan ever built.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257614&highlight=E60

great article, M5 owns

christophv
11-03-2004, 03:51 PM
about that "fun to drive" - yes, the CLS55 is a bit more about comfort and silence. surprisingly it's steering acts more direct and accurate, but accurate silent cars don't grant fun.

it drives as well (or even better) and it's the same time from 0-100 kph in 4.7 sec (in that carmag article). In fact, it shifts smoother but not faster, when in comes to fast shifts, the M5 of course prevails.
And the CLS engine doesn't scream and the M5 looks meaner.

Depends on what you want, I'd choose a low, sleek, pitch-black CLS.
And if I could afford that, there would be space for some real uncompromising fun racer for the weekends.

CrzyMR2T
11-03-2004, 07:42 PM
i cant get past the new m5s bangle style body, its kinda ugly, especially the rear, but who knows, maybe it ll grow on me. i think the older m5 looks a lot better, and i actually think it looks good. the e55 looks good to, theres nothing strange about its lines, and it flows well. the rs6 looks good to.

NISSANSPDR
11-03-2004, 11:08 PM
The E55 styling is so dated...then again...that pretty much sums up Benz's styling for the past 25 years...they dont stray much or try edging things like BMW or Audi.

christophv
11-04-2004, 10:14 AM
*cough* CLS *cough*

V8slayer
11-04-2004, 07:10 PM
In the Nov. issue of Car magazine they test drove the new M5.

The statement that made the most lasting impression on me was that they're worried about a group test. The author said the E55 and RS6 feel wooden and "monosyllabic" by comparison. (can some pom please explain what monosyllabic means?). The 997 Carrera S may match it's performance but not the practicality. And the Scaglietti comes closest in ability but is three times the price.

drunken monkey
11-04-2004, 08:01 PM
i think they mean that the other cars don't communicate as well as the M5 does.

not sure about the Mercedes but the fast Audis (or is it all Audis?) lack in the steering department with regards to response and feedback.

this is something Audi have been trying to deal with for a long time;
hence the rumours of them shifting to rear wheel drive (now vetoed) and the shifting back of key components, such as gearbox, to allow the engine to sit further back and to get the weight issues sorted.

jcsaleen
11-04-2004, 08:05 PM
M5=modified sedan....

Rs6=Demodified racecar!!

The rs6 is almost EXACTLY like the race car version in suspention and power with only 50 less hp. M5 is just a meatheaded sedan.

CrzyMR2T
11-04-2004, 08:54 PM
less communication than the m5 huh?

i guess the rs6, and the mercedes needs harder bushings, so it can feel the road better, and maybe a quicker steering ratio will help to.

finally_retired
11-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Ok, the M5 may hold the crown, but it will be shrot lived. Audi is launching a Gallardo V10 engined RS6 that like before, will make short work of an M5. History will repeat itself!

On a slightly different note, as big a fan of Mercedes as I am, the E and CLS 55 just don't seem to hold their own in this sector. Admitedly they are cheeper, but I'd expect more of my beloved brand.

As far as coments about the new E55 looking dated, IMHO thats rubish! Its utterly stunning, and it design provides some much needed soul and class to the german exec sector.

Add your comment to this topic!