Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LED taillights disable cruise control

tonytone
06-03-2004, 10:17 AM
I recently installed a set of aftermarket LED taillight housings (not LED bulb inserts) on my '04 DXL; upon doing so, I found out that the cruise control no longer activates. I know that it's the LED taillight housing because when I put the OEMs back on, the cruise control works again.

So for you GM tech experts--what is the cruise control picking up from the OEM taillights that it's apparently not sensing from the LED ones, and is there an easy fix/workaround?

Thanks!

GMCTech
06-05-2004, 07:47 PM
There has to be cicuit feedback through the brake switch.

My guess is that the LEDs don't have enough resistance or too much or the circuitry allows voltage to return to the brake switch.

socal01denali
06-06-2004, 01:01 AM
hey tonytone...nice to see a fellow suv worlder here...its steez01 over there...

tonytone
06-07-2004, 01:42 PM
socal/steez--same here!

GMCTech--thanks for the response! Yeah, that's what I've read/found out--the CC isn't seeing enough resistance from the LEDs that the stock bulbs are providing. The good news (although I'll believe it when I see it) is that the manufacturer of the LED taillights in question will come out with a module to correct the issue.

Vroom2
06-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Tony - I'm bummed you haven't announced this mod over on SUV World. And to think, after all the grief you've given me over my cosmetic mods. :)

Take care,
Jerry

tonytone
06-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Tony - I'm bummed you haven't announced this mod over on SUV World. And to think, after all the grief you've given me over my cosmetic mods. :)

Take care,
Jerry
Jerry...sure I did--it's in the "Appearance" category, titled "LED taillights"; heck, it's been there long enough for me to even comment on how it apparently disables the cruise control on the NBS GM trucks/SUVs. Sheesh...and I thought if there was anyone who would be frequently viewing that category, it would be you! :p j/k...

Vroom2
06-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Wow, how'd I miss that? Sorry about that. Geez, it's embarrassing when you go to give grief and then end up wiping the egg from your own face. :)

tonytone
06-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey Jerry--it's all good! :iceslolan

Maybe I shoulda titled the thread, "Jerry's next mod"... :rofl:

zutoo
06-23-2004, 12:14 AM
You have a pic of the tails?

tonytone
06-23-2004, 11:42 AM
You have a pic of the tails?
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/133124ledc.JPG
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/133124ledb.JPG

Vroom2
06-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Tony, those look terrific! Excuse the dumb question - would you mind explaining the custom license plate?

Take care,
Jerry

tonytone
06-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Tony, those look terrific! Excuse the dumb question - would you mind explaining the custom license plate?

Take care,
Jerry
Jerry--thanks (again? I thought you've seen them already...); I'm still waiting on the red-lens ones though, as the clears look too ricey--at the time I bought them I wasn't aware that the manufacturer was planning to come out with red and smoked versions...

ND FAITH = In The Faith; my wife came up with that, as we're Christians. I told her that no one would guess correctly that the "ND" stood for "In The"; just about everybody else has guessed with "Need", "No" (looks like it if viewed from a distance), "Notre Dame", or a response similar to yours...j/k!

Vroom2
06-24-2004, 05:14 PM
These look terrific, but I agree - the red (or smoked) ones would look INCREDIBLE! (And I had seen them...just hadn't complimented you on them here. :))

I have to admit the first thing that came to mind was 'Notre Dame'.

Take care,
Jerry

zutoo
06-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Nice... where did you get them?

tonytone
06-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Nice... where did you get them?
I got them from my brother...but there are a few places online that are carrying them.

Add your comment to this topic!