Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing a CD player in a '99 Astro.

al_alom
06-02-2004, 08:09 PM
I've been looking at swapping my tape deck for decent CD player. I know how to install one myself and have done so on other vehicles, but I can't figure out how to get into this one. There are two panels on the sides of the centre consol below the tape deck that look promising but they are held by special screws. The hole is shaped like a six point star. Where can I find an appropriate screwdriver? Can I use a flat tip (Without stripping the screw)? Is there another way in?
Thank you all for your time in reading this.

sonnald
06-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Torx are the name for those types of screws, Sears or your nearby auto supply store have drivers for them.

demotim00
03-30-2005, 12:59 AM
The front dash cover, that the air vents and all is attached to, pulls off. You may have to put the gear selector all the way down to 1st gear to be able to get it off around the steering column, but it just pulls off with no tools, than there will be a lever on each side of the radio, you push them down, and the stereo just slides right on out, and the rest you know how to do. When you are done just replace the dash cover by snapping it back in to place. You have to be careful not to crack it though. Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!