Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Any photo-etch users??

Murco
01-21-2002, 01:16 AM
Does anyone else here use photo-etch parts? I've seen some awesome models here but haven't noticed to much etch. I was wondering if anybody has sets for stock R32-R34 Skylines??
Russ

hirofkd
01-21-2002, 01:51 AM
Common applications of the PE parts to the street car are the badges, grill, radiator face and brake disk face. I believe there were some for the R32 Group A and R34 JGTC, which can be used for the street version. Not sure if there are ones for the street GT-Rs, but there was one for S2000.

And the use of PE parts is to enhance the appearance of a model, and extensive use of PE parts will make it stand out too much, and that will turn people off. If you don't notice it so often, I think many skilled molders here are probably applying it moderately to maintain the overall balance of a model.

Murco
01-21-2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by hirofkd
The use of PE parts is to enhance the appearance of a model, and extensive use of PE parts will make it stand out too much, and that will turn people off. If you don't notice it so often, I think many skilled molders here are probably applying it moderately to maintain the overall balance of a model.

I've used it for years. Can't remember building a model without a set in years, just hadn't seen one for the Skylines.

ales
01-21-2002, 02:53 AM
What do you use to attach PE parts?

G-Forces
01-21-2002, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Murco
Does anyone else here use photo-etch parts?
I'd like to but I haven't found any yet for the kits that I have. There are some fhr the WRC Focus that I might get.

modelfan1
01-21-2002, 09:11 AM
I use a variety of things to hold P/E on, paint or super glue (Zap-A-Gap does not cause fogging) or 5 minute epoxy,all used very sparingly. Here's some on my Divco Milk Truck.
Mike

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/631718milkclos.jpg

Murco
01-22-2002, 11:32 PM
Proper use of photo-etch is all about fidelity, just like any other part of a good model. Many builders, particularly NASCAR builders, get carried away with natural metal photo-etch to high-light what they've done to the car. My MGD T-Bird was a year-long photo-etch education as pretty much every piece of etch you could buy at the time was on it. That car cost about $350.00 to build!! Now my models are still full of the stuff but the details are much more subtle and distinct. Instead of one part jumping out at you I aim for people to look at the car and wonder, "what's drawing my eyes to this car?" Lots of intricate details executed perfectly are what makes a great model.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/149749camaroetch.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!