1988 GMC Jimmy received with metal-like tapping sound...And transmission slipping?

cycosurfer
06-02-2004, 02:42 AM
I know what pinging and knocking is but this sound is different, I know i must have something to do with the exhaust because when I attach a certain hose under the hood from the exhaust to the air filter the sound becomes quieter, however the sound is getting on my nerves and I can't figure how to fix it. It sounds exactly like a lawnmower. Any ideas anyone?

Also, when I press the pedal too much past approx. 3300 RPM the transmission slips and has serious problems shifting gears, and the car tends to fix itself whenever it wants. Right now it's okay, and I've checked the trans fluid and it's full. New tranny would not be in my price range...

I'm considering buying an old messed up Toyota Camry...

Sucks to be 19 and broke.

rustymac
06-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Looks like the Camry might be your cheapest option. It sounds like maybe an exhaust leak around your manifold. Maybe where the manifold attaches to the head or where the y pipe attaches to the manifold.

As for the slipping. It sounds like the cluthes in your trans are worn out. It might also be that a check ball in your valve body is getting stuck. That is a cheap fix. If you do not get it fixed though it will wear your trans. out in no time.

cycosurfer
06-07-2004, 10:48 PM
I really appreciate it, thanks for the input I had someone also tell me it was an exhaust leak, which now I'm almost certain it is. As for the transmission I don't know for sure what I'll do with it. The camry seems to be the best way to go. By any chance does anyone know about how much it would be? Like an estimate on how much it would be to replace the clutches on the tranny and the exhaust leak? I have a very small budget... Just perfect for car repairs huh...

Add your comment to this topic!