Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Important

Mrbuzz13
06-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey everyone my name is Greg Sirois. i want to do auto body but i need to know how to fix anything on any car so PLEASE send me somthing i really want to know. i am only in middle school and i am going into highschool. i would like it if everyone would pitch in and tell me somthing or how to fix a part on the car. it can be simple and it can be hard. i just want to know what to do.

Thanks
Greg Sirois

DJJC
06-01-2004, 06:46 PM
An interesting concept this...learn how to repair cars over the net. next thing they'll have is email! :screwy:

oh wait...

anywho. my technique is how to remove a nut.
First, you get the spanner that corresponds to the nut size (usually in millimeters, or if you are in one of those stone age places that still uses inches, then...well...use that), then, you place the spanner of the nut such that the fit is snug, without having to force the spanner on it. then, using the length of the spanner, turn the nut in a counterclockwise direction until the nut is no longer on the bolt / stud. Thus, the proceedure is complete.

...And dont get me started on left hand thread! thats a whole different ballpark!

*stiffles laughter*

but seriously, what youre asking takes a whole lot more than a collection of forum threads. my advice (real advice, that is) it to begin at the begining - learn how an engine works. learn it so well that you can roughly design an engine in your sleep, or at least know the architecture well enough to have the gist. then learn how the auxillary systems around it work (cooling, power steering etc.). then learn how superchargers, turbochargers and any other forced induction systems work, becuase youre bound to run into one or two of them in the trade. continue this learing until you can look at an engine, sitting in its bay and say "thats an x cylender, x cam engine with x induction and x thingamagigsthatmakeitgoproperly".

Then, and only then, are you truly safe to start taking spanners to a car on your own. the repairing indivdual parts thing will come of its own accord, because you will understand what its purpose in the engine is, and hence understand how it works.

start small. pull a mower apart. nobody cars if you screw it up that much, and they are cheap to get parts for. this will teach you the very basics. then see if you can find a shitty little 4 cylender to learn on. something like a ford laser would be spot on, cause there are a million of them (at least here in aus there is) and you can get parts at wreckers if you screw up.

then, and heres where it gets fun. tell your dad / mum that one of the crank bearings are gone in your family car, and you are certain you can pull it apart and fix it yourself. good luck. they wont take you very seriously.

then, do a course in automotive mechanics. itll be a breeze instead of hard work because of all the learning youd been doing playing with all the other engines. then, get a job in the industry and get so sick of cars that youll come home and youll never want to see one for another year.

good luck.

Mrbuzz13
06-01-2004, 07:15 PM
hey thanks DJJC that helped me out alot i will do what u say and hope that it works thank you again

Add your comment to this topic!