Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replace CV Boots, CV Joints or whole Axle?

dennisrodz
06-01-2004, 01:11 PM
OK, guys. These are the good news today?

I own a 98' 3.2L 4WD Rodeo and the mechanic just informed me both my left and right boots are teared and I need to replace them and the sound of $600. I know for a fact that they only make a loud clicking sound when on 4WD but no sound when I turn in 2WD.

I have read somewhere else that if the clicking sound is "loud" the joints need to be replaced and some people even recommed replacing the whole axle. (I don't know if that applys to 4WD vehicles).

Again, taking in consideration that it only "clicks" when 4WD is engaged and that currently $600 will only get the boots replaced (mechanic didn't mentioned the cv joints being bad), should I change the boots, joints or the whole axle?

rodeo02
06-01-2004, 03:26 PM
If the boots have been torn for awhile & are making noise, they got dirty & are shot. Often- If you catch the tear right away, you can get away with just a new boot. You can have your existing CV shafts rebuilt & re-booted at an axle/drive-line shop at a fraction of the cost of "new" shafts. Keep in mind to inspect all the boots at every oil change (or sooner).
G/luck
Joel

Cat Fuzz
06-01-2004, 08:52 PM
It costs $600 because its a heck of alot of labor to replace the boots.

It only clicks in 4WD because the front axle shafts do not turn while its in 2WD.

Like Rodeo02 said, if they are clicking, they are toasted.

rodeo02
06-02-2004, 05:18 AM
It costs $600 because its a heck of alot of labor to replace the boots.

It only clicks in 4WD because the front axle shafts do not turn while its in 2WD...

Yep. It's an all day job ($$$). The front CV's/shafts spin all the time on 1998+ due to the solid drive flange setup.
G/luck
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!