Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 grand am ignition switch removal

firefighter
06-01-2004, 11:34 AM
how in the world do you get the ignition switch out , can not turn key at all , to start or nothing have steering wheel off and still no luck

fluffybunny
06-01-2004, 12:41 PM
do you want the tumbler out, or the switch. might i suggest removing the ignition lock cylinder first. if you have the case around the column off, underneath the column there are two wires going to the back of a white plastic cylinder which appears to have a metal button on the end of it. this is a magnetically controlled ignition lock. if you are able to turn the key after pressing on the "button" then this is your problem. it really serves no purpose except to break and make you want to buy a part. i think there is one screw and it slides out, may have to toggle the key a little to get it out. if however this is not your problem, reply and i can post more.

thejushinator
11-02-2004, 10:58 AM
after searching i thought this was the problem to my car.... i pressed the button but nothing happend. But should i still take it all the way out and see if that is the problem ???

2krazyboutcars
11-06-2004, 08:14 AM
after searching i thought this was the problem to my car.... i pressed the button but nothing happend. But should i still take it all the way out and see if that is the problem ???

Does your car start at all or does it turn over at all? I am going to the same thing and I think I can help you. jsut let me know what is the car actually doing.

Add your comment to this topic!