Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Yukon Dies

Tankrat
06-01-2004, 10:31 AM
I've got a friend with an '01 GMC Yukon that's giving him trouble right now. It's a 2500 with a 6.0, 2wd. It's been dying on him every time he drives it. When he backs out of his parking space, he has to turn to the left and when he hits the brakes, it dies. It has died on him several times slowing down for traffic lights and even a couple times just putting it in gear. It idles at 500 RPM's which I thought was kinda strange to start with, and when you mash the gas it hesitates for about a second before reving up, but if you give it gas slowly it's fine. Sometimes when you hit the gas and let off, it almost dies, but usually bottoms out around 200 rpms before coming back up to 500. He's got fly-by-wire throttle control (sorry, I'm an Air Force mechanic, that's the best way I can describe it) and I'm kinda wondering if maybe that could be part of his problem. It's almost like when you hit the gas quick, it's taking a while for the signal to get to the throttle body. His fuel filter isn't plugged bad at all but he ordered a new one anyways (we're stationed in Germany so parts aren't readily available), his air filter is less than a month old, I'm going to check his throttle body for buildup but other than that I'm kinda at a loss with these newer vehicles and the auto hobby shop on base said they can't get him in to run diagnostics on it anytime in the next 2 MONTHS!! This is his only vehicle and he has two kids under the age of 3, need to get it running right asap so it doesn't leave him stranded on the autobahn! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

denalio34ceo
06-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Is the "Check Engine" light on? Clean the throttle body and check the EGR valve. Is it only happening at low speeds? During highway driving is it running smoothly? Could be the fuel injectors too.

Tankrat
06-01-2004, 06:18 PM
No "Check Engine" light yet, haven't been able to check/clean the throttle body yet either, have to wait 'till my days off. Highway driving has been great for him, so far it's only given him problems at low speed. Oh, I checked the fuel pressure too, at idle it's 50psi, when you rev it it goes up to about 53 and when you let off it drops to around 45 until the RPM's start to come down and gradually returns to 50 as the engine nears idle. I don't know what the pressure's supposed to be so if anybody knows what the numbers are supposed to be that would be helpful too. Thanks. ~Lucas

GMCTech
06-02-2004, 05:16 AM
That fuel pressure is perfect.

I'm with denalio above :iagree: clean the throttle body real good and I'd suggest replacing the fuel filter at this time also, if it hasn't already been done this year.

Hope this helps

Tankrat
06-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Cleaned the throttle body, didn't help. What next? Is there any way I can check the voltage to the motor that actuates the throttle? Does anybody know what it should be? I'm open to any suggestions here, so far everything's fine that we've checked. He's considering taking it to the Chevy dealership here in Frankfurt but they'll charge him about twice what a dealership in the States would and they don't speak very good English so there's no telling if we can even get the point across to them as to what we need done! We're pretty much on our own here without the proper diagnostic equipment. All I've got is a multimeter! HELP!!

nick0750
06-05-2004, 09:23 AM
that sounds like more of a computer or pcm related problem there is a reprogram for the pcm for a similar condition on the 6.0 it should be done by a gm tech 2 user.

Tankrat
06-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I kinda wondered if it was going to be something with the pcm, he does have the 6.0 in it. So the dealership is the only place it can be done? Any idea what it would cost in the States to have that done?

nick0750
06-09-2004, 06:35 PM
probably cost anywhere from $80-$120.00 depending on hourly rate most times its an hour i think waranty time is .9 or 1.1 so customer time would be aprox 1.5. hey another tip for you in my shop today we had a 03 yukon xl similar problem only different motor after 5.1 hrs diag a new pcm fixed the condition because it was loosing the fuel pump signal.

MacArchie
06-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Hello people,
Could this problem be as simple as a vacuum leak? Aren't the brakes vac assisted?

cville_uknow
06-10-2004, 11:21 PM
i dont think the brake vac assist is the problem. But dont get me wrong it could be. i have 01 Yukon and it shudders at idle and it completely died on me today. I have had the shudder problem before and I took it to the dealer and they updated the pcm and it fixed for a few months but now it has came back. So I dont know.

nick0750
06-12-2004, 12:51 PM
at my dealer we corrected the shudder you explain with a throttle body cleaning and the pcm update..

NateP
06-28-2004, 11:32 AM
I too had a 2001 Yukon, I've since sold it, But to Takrat, the CPS(crankshaft position sensor) could be going bad. Mine was an '01 XL 2500 with the 8100, and the CPS went out and It would die on us at random times when driving, and after i replaced the battery, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, etc... I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the sensor. It'll be about $500 after everything is said and done, but that was here in the states. Good luck with getting it fixed, and I hope this clears up the problems.

P-hat
06-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Not dying yet, but...our 2001 Yukon XL Service engine light has been on. It most recently went to the dealership and 2 codes were found. One was for the EGR system and the other was a fuel circuit short. EGR was staying closed when should be open. Fuel circuit short was fuel pump relay shorts to ground. The techs looked over the system, found no hard problems, drove for weekend, re-flashed computer (re-boot), and returned the vehicle with no witnessed problems.
Sure enough, 12 hrs later the light comes back on. GM tech is "at a loss." It goes back in for another round of diagnostics tomorrow, but they said the next step is to call GM tech engineer.
As for symptoms, the vehicle hesitates (starves for fuel) after accelerating to city driving speed (40mph). We've also started noticing it on the highway. In either case, it seems to be as we are coming out of the throttle (backing off). It's not an "always" thing. It's intermittent.
Any suggestions?

Add your comment to this topic!