Check angine light??

jaynpeeps
05-31-2004, 08:14 PM
i have a 2oo2 rio and i just reach about -/+ 43,000 miles on it and today my check engine light came on, this happened once before and i called the dealership and they said t could be a bunch of things such as listening to the radio while pumping gas, not putting the gas cap on tight enough, but i make sure i do everythign right, but it came on if anyone has a clue what this could be Pleae let me know

JAy

akdan747
06-20-2004, 08:02 AM
is it the check engine light or the gas pump light? if it is the gas pump light the sending unit is most likly shot. either way take it in it should be under warrenty. the warrenty is 100k original owner or 60k not original owner

Wild1
06-20-2004, 11:58 AM
The dealership is right in that it could be a number of things. The key on while fueling will throw off any evaporative monitoring system. Is the light still on? Go to Autozone or Harbor Freight in store or online and get a code puller ($20 - Basic, $50 - moderate) and pull the codes. Let us know what it is.

PrincessSami83
07-01-2004, 06:42 PM
My husband and I bought a 2001 Rio 6 months ago when we found out we were expecting a baby. We got rid of our sports car for a safer family car. In all the time we've had it, we've been in to the service department 7 times for the same check engine light. They've cleared codes, they've replaced parts, and they can't give us any reason why it's happening. Last time it was in for a week and they replaced the same part for the second time. Two days later, the light's back on.

I've been doing some reading and it looks to be a fairly common problem with this car, and no dealership is saying what's causing it. I just wish I would have done this research before we would have signed the papers.

Wild1
07-03-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty good with Kia's. And I'm really sorry to hear of your dilema. Personally, I drive two Kias and I haven't had any problems.

Can you tell me what the symptoms are? What conditions seem to trigger the light? Does it seem to drive normal? There is a Flash Reprogram for the Rio out there which takes care of the prior concerns. If you can give me all of your info, I could help.

Greg

kyle95g20
08-08-2004, 11:03 AM
p0442/p0456 evap small leak.

very common code for all kia models. it can be caused by a number of things. the most common are a loose gas cap, a gas cap with a pinched/rolled o-ring, or the purge control solenoid/valve has become plugged with debris and pressure builds up in the line. the latter of those items is remedied by replacing the purge solenoid with the updated version which has a filter on the end of it.

ad4c
01-13-2005, 12:25 PM
I personally like Kias Rio,in my family there are two of them,one driven by my old man since 2002 when he bought used with 25K miles in it automatic 4 doors sedan for a very decent price and have had no problems so far and mine that is a 2004 with 15K miles in it,its true,the check engine light came up once and I called the local Kia dealer,and they asked me If the car had any driving problem,I said no,it drives as new,and they told me then that when I had a chance with no hurry,take it to them,I asked other mechanic shops and the answer was that the Kia Rio computer sometimes "see" false alarms or signals and get confused making that light go on,what I did on mine was disconnect the negative pole in the battery,and after a couple of minutes hooked it back,this reset the computer and makes the check engine light go off,car still keep running perfect without any problem.

Add your comment to this topic!