Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is my clutch goin?

Amish_kid
05-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Car somewhat doesn't want to move as quickly as it did before when I mash the go pedal in 2 and 3 only...please tell me it's the clutch and not the tranny ( and just to put other things out there, I have new plugs, wires, fuel pump, and filter) also another problem it's getting to be a hassle to get into 1st gear and reverse.

Thanks for any info!

scallywag
05-31-2004, 10:05 PM
what do you mean mash and go, please be more spacific. Is it grinding at all when you shift into gear? What does it sound and feel like?

Oldteg
06-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Put the car in fourth gear when your going about 35 and mash the gas. If your RPM's fly up and you don't go anywhere, your clutch is gone. How high up does your clutch grab? If the pedal has to be high up before it grabs, your clutch might be gone.

Amish_kid
06-01-2004, 01:15 PM
It will only grind when going into third at high rpms (read 4.5k or above) and it will ocasionally pop outta reverse but not in forward gears. Also the pedal doesn't have to come up and further that in any other car with a stick that I've driven...and I'm goin to try the 35 in 4th gear thing on the way home from work.
Thanks!

Oldteg
06-01-2004, 02:01 PM
If it pops out of reverse and grinds into 3rd, I might be worried about the synchrodes on the trans. Non the less, try the test that I told you and see what happens. Hopefully everything is ok.

deadlywhispr18
06-01-2004, 06:12 PM
sounds like something with the tranny. A friend had a similar problem but when he shifted in 2nd it tended to pop into neutral.

Amish_kid
06-01-2004, 08:43 PM
No problems with forward gears just have hold it when I have it in reverse so she don't come undone.

Oldteg
06-01-2004, 09:50 PM
That's a synchrode problem man. You might want to get a pro opinion.

scallywag
06-01-2004, 10:01 PM
yup your sycros are screwed. You are going to have to rebuild the tranny! sucks, I have to do the same to mine. it is very common for the syncros to go out in 3rd in hondas. Mine are going out, and my friend has a gsr motor in his civic, and his are going out in 3rd as well, as is my friends crx. If you feel confident with tools, you could buy a instructions manual step by step book and attempt to do it yourself. That is what I was going to do, but I have friends that might as well be honda techs, that said they could do it for $250 which is a damn good price so I figured srew it, have someone who knows what they are doing! good luck

Amish_kid
06-02-2004, 07:50 PM
I know my synchro for 3rd gear is right the fuck out there but I'll live with it until it don't shift anymore, then'll rip 'er down and do a rebuild...(well not me alone my dad is a mechanic so there ain't no way he'll let me do it on my own :D ). But yea I'm going to end up rebuilding the fuckin' motor sooner or later and some mo' goodies for under the hood so I might as well wait until the clutch is completely gone too and replace it with something better than the oem honda one.

Add your comment to this topic!