Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97’ f-150 4X4 having steering issues.

steve duffy
05-31-2004, 07:26 PM
When I first bought my truck it had 54,000 miles on it. At the time of my purchase the dealer said they had replaced “some of the front end parts” I recall it being tie rods. Within a year the steering seemed very soft and sluggish, almost to the point of being annoying, but drivable. Last summer while on a trip the steering became very stiff and just not safe to drive. (The truck at the time of the trip had about 108,000 miles on it.)

I took it to my preferred front-end shop to have them look at it. They said the tie rods looked just fine but sorry to say, you need a new power steering box. I said OK and they put it in. It did not fix the problem. They pulled new box out and put my old one back in. Then they said it was the pump. I said it makes since to me, put it in. It helped, but it is still not right. They checked the hoses for blockages but they were just fine. As I said, it did help some but not completely. And to add more head scratching to this mystery it seems to be intermittent with the whole thing. Maybe hot and cold triggering it? I drove it through the winter and it was ok, not great, but ok.

Well it just started getting into the mid 80’s, to the low 90’s here and it’s back again. The front-end shop thinks it maybe in the steering column bearing. I don’t have a clue and nether do the guys at the front-end shop. Please don’t get me wrong here, they really are good at what the do, they have not had a rig do this to them before.

Have you heard of this before? They said Ford does not have any bulletins for this????

Stumped

Steve

tj4ndirish
06-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Just maybe......maybe..... I think there was a recall with something about the steering yoke. You may want to call a ford dealer near you and give them you VIN# and ask them to check. Just an FYI.

TJ

steve duffy
06-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Thank you! I will make that call.

Add your comment to this topic!