95 JGC engine stall when transm put in drive

agradford
05-30-2004, 10:45 PM
I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've had it for three years. The transmission was rebuilt after I had it one year (under warranty). When transmission is placed in reverse or drive, the engine stalls and shuts off . If I put the transmission in neutral or park, the engine will restart.
Some people told me it may be the modulator while others said it sounded like major transmission problem. Please help.

Kevin Cruz
05-31-2004, 04:28 AM
I dont think its your trany, I do think its one of the electronic switches , I had simlar so Im going to check my records and see what mine was

Dale Aeppli
05-31-2004, 10:19 AM
I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've had it for three years. The transmission was rebuilt after I had it one year (under warranty). When transmission is placed in reverse or drive, the engine stalls and shuts off . If I put the transmission in neutral or park, the engine will restart.
Some people told me it may be the modulator while others said it sounded like major transmission problem. Please help.
HI SOUNDS LIKE THE NETURAL SAFTEY SWITCH. IF YOU EMAIL ME AT jeepman600@aol.com i'll send a sheet on cleaning & servicing it dale

dksob81
09-09-2004, 11:21 PM
heres a ???, does it jerk at all b4 it stalls, if so, it's your torque converter, if not it may be your idle air control. the reason when ever u put a load on the engine by placing it in gear or turning on A/C or turning the wheel, the IAC is suppose to let it idle a lil higher, and it sounds like it is not doing it. but remember if it jerks and then stalls it is the Torque Converter is locked up.

leowolf
09-10-2004, 03:31 AM
this sounds like a torque converter to me. the torque converter allows the motor to turn while the transmision is in gear. if the torque converter is locked up, either electericly or mechanicly failed, it will cause this.

good luck

xj31
09-10-2004, 08:23 PM
if the bushings in the front pump(actually in the stator shaft) are worn out you get an internal leak and that can cause the converter clutch to apply.just something ive seen in the past

leowolf
09-11-2004, 11:22 PM
:screwy: heres a stupid thought :screwy: start the car in neutral, push it down a hill, put it in drive, and see if it will run. if the car dies like a stickshift car would if if you left the clutch out.... its the torque converter.. if not have fun pushing the car back up the hill lol
:evillol: dont try this at home lol :loser:

Add your comment to this topic!