Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replaced head gaskets

bob47579
05-28-2004, 04:39 PM
almost done, horrible experience, is there a way to rotate engine? someone said you could turn engine to get to rear head by loosening motor mounts and then turning some how? my friend did the work, he is barely speaking to me.

jim56
05-28-2004, 07:27 PM
How bad was it? how long did it take?

bob47579
05-29-2004, 08:09 AM
almost done, horrible experience, is there a way to rotate engine? someone said you could turn engine to get to rear head by loosening motor mounts and then turning some how? my friend did the work, he is barely speaking to me.

it took 30 hr, it is only rated to take 21 by a garage, do u know how to rotate engine forward?

Angels_Aurora
06-01-2004, 01:53 PM
I suspect that I have a blown head gasket. My car overheats after driving it short distances. How did you know for sure that your car needed the gaskets replaced?

bob47579
06-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I suspect that I have a blown head gasket. My car overheats after driving it short distances. How did you know for sure that your car needed the gaskets replaced? pressure test

bob47579
06-02-2004, 09:20 AM
pressure test

Angels_Aurora
06-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Is the pressure test something you can do yourself, or do you have to take it to a mechanic?

10-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Depending on what you're pressure testing, you can usually do it yourself. Though many times it will require a special adaptor and an air compressor. Other times, just a gauge. At any rate, you'll need a service manual to look up the pressures and attachment locations.

If your car is over heating after short distances, my first guess wouldn't be head gaskets. You should be loosing anti-freeze (and oil)... head gaskets are one of those things you should never have to replace. (My opinion, by the time they go, you should probably just buy a new car because everything else is worn out too. LOL)

ANYWAY - My first guess would be a cooling system problem, as follows:
1) Coolant level
2) Replace thermostat. $5 + 1 hour
3) Fans and fan relays

If you think your head gaskets are blown, you should have anti-freeze in your engine oil.

shadytree
12-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Head gaskets can fail in several ways. To detect water in oil, simply take the dip stick out and drop a drop of oil on the exhaust. Oil with no water will just smoke. Oil with water will sizzle. As for the compression test, use a compression gauge and adapter screwed into spark plug hole. All cylinder pressures should match each other. If one cylinder pressure is low, squirt 30W oil into suspect cylinder to 'seal' rings. Low pressure can be a result of blown head gasket or valves at this point.

Aurora95
09-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Head gaskets can fail in several ways. To detect water in oil, simply take the dip stick out and drop a drop of oil on the exhaust. Oil with no water will just smoke. Oil with water will sizzle. As for the compression test, use a compression gauge and adapter screwed into spark plug hole. All cylinder pressures should match each other. If one cylinder pressure is low, squirt 30W oil into suspect cylinder to 'seal' rings. Low pressure can be a result of blown head gasket or valves at this point.

YOU DONT CHANGE THE HEAD GASKETS ON THIS ENGINE THE TIME AND LABOR YOU WOULD SPEND ON DOING THAT IT WOULD BE CHEAPER AND FASTER TO BUY A USED ENGINE AND PUT IT IN. SAVE YOUR SELF THE HEADACH UNLESS YOU ARE AN CADALLIAC TECHNICIAN

Add your comment to this topic!