Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help Please!!

memofo
05-28-2004, 10:17 AM
O.K. I have a 99 Grand Am that I am replacing the head gaskets on. I have the heads back on and now I need to know the best (and proper) way to adjust the rocker arms. I have done a search on this site and can not find anything, any help would be REALLY appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I know the push rods are difernt lengths. And also I know you have to have zero lash and then give a 1/4 turn or so for pre-load.........................my real question is, say you have #1 piston at TDC, Whitch valves can be adjusted? For example: I have a Firebird (LT1) if you have the #1 at TDC you can adjust the #1,2,5,7 intake valves and the 1,3,4,8 exaust valves........rotate the crank 360* the you will be at #6 TDC and you can adjust 3,4,6,8 intake and the 2,5,6,7 exaust valves. That is alot easier than doing one cylinder at a time. Does anyone know a method such as this for a 99 Grand Am?

Sorry for the long post. And thank you in advance.

memofo
05-29-2004, 07:45 AM
noone? Well, after zero lash how far do yall go? 1/4? 1/2? turn.

fluffybunny
05-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Install the pushrods in the original location.
Coat the ends of the pushrods with GM P/N 1052356 or the equivalent.
The intake pushrods are identified with yellow stripes and are 5 3/4 inches long.
Exhaust pushrods are identified with green stripes and are 6 inches long.
Ensure that the pushrods seat in the lifter.
Install the rocker arms.
Install the rocker arm pivot balls. Coat the bearing surfaces of the rocker arms and the pivot balls with GM P/N 1052356 or the equivalent.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the rocker arm bolts. Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in). Use the J 36660-A in order to tighten the bolts an additional 30 degrees.

Install the valve rocker covers. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement .
Connect the negative battery cable.

fluffybunny
05-29-2004, 11:56 AM
hope that helps, ive always just tightened the rockers down, just make sure to put a little lock tight on the bolts....piece

memofo
05-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the help. I'm glad to see someone finally had a lil' info in this subject. I was getting really frustrated, then I figured it out. Had I not figured it out, your description would have been VERY helpful. I appreciate the detailed description.

C_Sephiroth
05-30-2004, 11:16 AM
I thought there was no lash adjustment on those engines. Just a torque spec. I would call the dealer or get a service manual for the engine, BEFORE i did anything.

fluffybunny
05-30-2004, 01:56 PM
that list of instructions is from the gm service home page, i dont think it said anything about lash adjustment, but i didnt read the hole thing. however ive always just toghtened them down, the most iimportant part is lock tight on the bolts cause the torque doesnt always hold the bolts in. ive always just locktight and tightened.

Add your comment to this topic!