Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What do I need? and advice..

JC80
05-28-2004, 04:58 AM
Just wondering if I could get som advice on things I should get. I have a Focus ZX3 and am gathering up stereo gear to have installed later..What I have so far:
2 JBL 1200.1s (1200w x 1 RMS @ 2 ohms)
2 JBL 180.2s (seperate for front and rear speakers) 90w x 2 RMS @ 4 ohms
1 Audiobahn 3 Farad Digital Capacitor
4 Audiobahn Passive Crossovers for 4 Audiobahn 5x7/6x8 Plates w/ 5in woofers and 1/2 or 1in tweeters (can't remember which)
2 Audiobahn High Excursion 12s (700w RMS @ 2 ohms)
I'm thinking about getting the Kenwood DVD..this one @ http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?producttypeId=37&sortby=price&productId=2557
It says $1700 but a store here sells it for $899 w/no tax..nice. Or, thinking about getting Pioneer P860MP or maybe an Alpine..I just want a good hu with good bass/speaker management and 3 preouts of at least 2.0V each..I have to split the signal for the 2 amps that will be pushing the subs.
I am looking at EPIC and thinking about buying their products..anyone got one of these and is it worth the money?
Also..I ordered all my wiring already thru Sounddomain..all Stinger wiring from the battery-O/1 gauge to a 300A ANL Fuse, O/1 to a T-Block..one side going to the Capacitor..other to another T-Block..with both O/1 gauge going into a 2 O/1 gauge to 4 4 gauge Maxi Fused Digital Dist. Block..to the 4 amps. Helix series RCAs from HU to all amps with 2 Helix series Y adapters to each sub amp.
My questions about this are..with approx. 2700w rms..will I need a new altenator? or battery? or do you think the cap will be suffecient in holding enough excess power to keep my car starting?
Also..thinking about getting 4 of these High Excursions..found a place that sells them for $79..I put 1 in my car already and it is rediculously loud..but I'm the type who always wants more..would this be a good idea keeping the 2 amps and just putting 600w rms to each? not bridging the amps?
Thanks for everyones expertise!

sr20de4evr
05-28-2004, 07:59 PM
My questions about this are..with approx. 2700w rms..will I need a new altenator?
yes

or battery?
yes

or do you think the cap will be suffecient in holding enough excess power to keep my car starting?
no, and a cap won't do anything if your amps are drawing more power than your alternator can provide. One bass hit and the cap is completely discharged, then it starts drawing from the battery and will run it dead. The only way to stop this is to get an alternator that can actually handle the draw and keep everything from running dry. You'll have to upgrade the magic 3, but even then you aren't going to get anywhere without upgrading the entire electrical system.

Also..thinking about getting 4 of these High Excursions..found a place that sells them for $79
Ew, why?

I put 1 in my car already and it is rediculously loud..but I'm the type who always wants more..would this be a good idea keeping the 2 amps and just putting 600w rms to each? not bridging the amps?
You can't bridge a mono amp, but anyway...you could do that if you wanted, but I wouldn't get 2 more Audiobahns personally. I wouldn't have gotten any Audiobahns in the first place because they suck ass. I'm one of those people who likes to listen to their music, not sit in a car that sounds so terrible and screws up the music so bad that it makes you want to get out and puke.

Haibane
05-28-2004, 10:08 PM
I hate the audiobahn high excursions... low end model of audiobahn... makes it worse than it already was. at least get the Qs man, or immortals for SPL, lol. But seriously, why audiobahn?

JC80
06-01-2004, 08:55 AM
I dunno really...kinda cheap..I can always replace the speakers as long as I have the installation completed, nothing is permanent. On the 19th of this month there holding a DB Drag where I live and I shall see how well this 1 12 does..they have sorted it in categories by the # of subs you have. I'll see what it hits and if I don't like it I'll probably start thinking about my replacements.

Haibane
06-01-2004, 01:34 PM
You will get raped if brahma, JL, RF, ed, or RE shows

sr20de4evr
06-02-2004, 06:55 AM
You will get raped if brahma, JL, RF, ed, or RE shows

or DD, Treo, etc

Add your comment to this topic!