Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

B16a engine and LSD cable tranny...

91civichatch
05-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey peoples, I just completed my b16a engine and lsd cable tranny swap in my 91 civic dx hatch. Ofcourse I ran into minor problems.
Needed to replace TPS sensor. The original midshaft was too long so i had to replace it with a shorter one. The car hauls ass. I still have a few more lil things i need to figure out. Thats why Im posting this thread.
First off....My car hesitates in gears slightly, it kind of takes off real hard and strong...and just when im about to get in the middle of a gear(first, second, etc) it kind of hesitates and then kicks backs into running fine until i switch to the next gear and etc. I have no ecu error codes on my ecu. Blinks once when started. Maybe throttle problems or o2 sensors?.... Well to give you a heads up on what might be causing this....hear are some things that i need to fix.
Only one O2 sensor is hooked up, i believe the primary one...the second one is just hangin around not connected...i was told to splice the second one into the primary one, but i also read that each o2 sensor should be ran seperately.What the best way? and could that be causing the hesitation? Another slight problem or cause could be that....there is an hot air leak coming from under the back of my intake manifold, i dunno if the person who installed my engine 4got to hook up vacuum hoses. <shrug>. When i take it for a lil spin, and return i hear a hissin sound under my hood, I lift the hood and notice hot steam coming from under neath toward the back of my intake manifold. The hole is not visible when lookin down into my engine bay because the steam leak is coming from under my intake manifold toward the back.

Sorry for the book. Just lookin for info and help.
I also want to know what kind of fluid treatment should i use or do.

Tranny treatment/fluid?
Engine Treatment/oil?

Remember this engine was never used in the U.S. It is a used jdm engine and has not been broken in yet since installed in my car.

Icantgetno
05-28-2004, 09:34 AM
I believe there is a pipe that runs under the Intake carying coolant, I would suspect a hole in that. The O2 sensor does need to be hooked up to the ECU, there are many posts concerning how to do this and relating the fact that it will run like shit without it being hooked up. The hesitation you mention is similar to mine in a way but mine only happens while maintaining speed, I am suspecting the TPS as well and have been trying to find a way to test it. Does anyone know if you can replace the TPS without replacing the entire throtlebody?

91civichatch
05-28-2004, 10:47 AM
well, should i run the second o2 sensor seperate to the ecu or should i splice it into the first one?
and what kind of fluid treatment should i do?

and Yes, you can change the tps sensor without changin the whole throttle body....i did it. My ecu used to blink a tps sensor ecu code (blink 7 times). I shaved an tps sensor off of a d series head/manifold...and replaced it and the error code went away.

Icantgetno
05-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Yes do run the sensor seperate. Fluids for the gas, all mechanics I have talked to have told me chevron techron. Fluid for the coolant, thats up to you, but as far as the leak, I would Identify it first then take it from there. after the car is off there shouldnt be a hissing from the intake for any reason, I would completely suspect a coolant system leak, from your location I would suspect its not a rubber hose but a hardline.

Jazmine
05-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Best place to get jdm engines are at www.totaljdm.com/?id=85804. Cheapest Prices and They stand behind all engines.

Add your comment to this topic!