Parking Brake Lever

Beyond Imagination
01-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Anybody know how to take this off? It's number 9 in the picture ...

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/615182lever.jpg

89ssgti
01-19-2002, 08:51 PM
I think you have to cut it open to take it out,but I'm not sure.

Beyond Imagination
01-19-2002, 09:27 PM
Hmm ... that sounds like a more aggressive approach .. hehe ... anyone elses know?

buh_buh
01-19-2002, 09:57 PM
you have to cut it off with a knife I think.
That's what I had to do.
Is it plastic?

Beyond Imagination
01-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Yeah it's hard plastic ... I don't really want to cut it off, I just need to take it off to dye it black ... but if that's the only way to get it off then I guess it'll have to stay on ...

xivera
01-20-2002, 12:14 AM
Or, you could do what I did...
I took a vice grip to it and twisted... and twisted some more... and pulled it out! Of course, in order not to damage the handle itself, you should add in a shop rag...

92 Teg-B18A
01-20-2002, 01:56 AM
if you just want to dye the brake handle then tape up the areas that you don't want to be dyed. Then dye it!:) You could even dye it in you car (assuming you don't want to take the handle assembly out of the car) just cover anything that you could drip on with some newspaper.
That's the only way that I could think to do it, 'cause even if you do get the handle off without cutting it imagine how hard it'll be to put it back on.

Anyways, good luck! Hopefull it turns lookin good :D:D!

Beyond Imagination
01-20-2002, 06:28 AM
Haha ... yeah, I thought there was an easier way to take it out but I guess not ... then how do the aftermarket handles fit on so good? ... Does it just slip over top or do they fit perfect over that rectangular shaped assembly?? :confused:

mAtC
01-20-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Beyond Imagination
Haha ... yeah, I thought there was an easier way to take it out but I guess not ... then how do the aftermarket handles fit on so good? ... Does it just slip over top or do they fit perfect over that rectangular shaped assembly?? :confused:

Aftermarket eBrake handles require that you cut or "pull" the stock one off. Then they slide over the button and screw the sucker in at the base.

Good luck

hobbesboarder
01-20-2002, 01:57 PM
ya i put a CF ebrake handle on my. u gotta cut that off i recommend a hacksaw. its a bit scary cutting it but it looks good when its done.

Beyond Imagination
01-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks peeps ... :D

SilverY2KCivic
01-20-2002, 09:27 PM
If I have a rotory tool, could I just as easily use the cutting disc to cut off the stock E-brake handle, instead of using a knife or hacksaw? I'm going for low budget/lazy ass method here... ;)

Add your comment to this topic!