Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Lesabre Code 58 Fuel Enable problem

cyntax01
05-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help here.

I have a 92 Buick Lesabre, for the past week I was getting an intermittent MIL light then the other morning the car wouldn't start.
I read the codes on the computer and I got a 23 (IAT sensor) and 58 (security fuel enable circuit). Figuring a sensor wouldn't cause the car not to start I read up on how to bypass the Passkey system, and did so easily (jumpered the correct resistance in the passkey wires), but the car still doesn't start. The passkey is working fine - the Security light goes out as it should.
I disconnected the battery, checked all of the fuses, etc. but it still didn't start. In the meantime I changed the IAT sensor and the car started and ran fine for a day before it died and wouldn't start anymore. After the codes were cleared and the car was running fine, I got another Code 58 and it didn't start after that.

When I turn the key I can hear the relays click and (what I believe) to be the fuel pump priming, but the engine doesn't make any attempt to turn over.

Its frustrating trying to pinpoint the problem and I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!

Josh

cyntax01
05-31-2004, 11:14 AM
just to update anyone reading this...

turns out the problem was the starter - one of the connections had gone bad.
strange, because there was no indication that the starter was going bad, it just stopped working, and would start intermittently without any grinding or whining noise coming from the starter.

hope this helps anyone with the same problem in the future.

Add your comment to this topic!