Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

30k Service quoted at $920??

Dimitrix
05-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Hey guys,
I took my 2000 LSE into service today just to fix up that infamous gas pump problem that drops gauge to Empty when its not.

And also to look into transmission noise when gears switch (on quick acceleration).

1st problem they said is covered by warrenty, no problem. 2nd is PROBABLY due to a cracked cerperter belt (Ive really no idea how to spell that, never heard of such a belt). That comes to $64 or so. It is not covered by warranty because its under "preventable maintenance" or whatever.

Then the bad news came. They said my rear brake rotors are horribly rusty which I noticed before (even heard from mechanic) and they want to replace them along with brake pads. Quoted me for that about $450 which I found to be a little to pricey and will get another quote from favorite mechanic.

Then since Im almost at 30k mark (or a little past it, not sure but somewhere around 30k), they suggested 30k service and I said that it would be a great idea (because I read about that service here quite a few times) untill she told me the price, $920!

Maybe thats normal but I definatly was not expecting that.
So currently as I type this, they're replacing fuel pump & that belt. Other things I told them that Id think about and do another day.

Is this natural for the price to be that high? Where can I get another quote (or is Isuzu dealership the only place for that service)?

And that the hell is that belt? Im guessing it has SOMETHING to do with transmission.

Thanks guys. Ill keep you updated in a few hours.
Dimitry

Dimitrix
05-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Ah serpentine belt is not related to my problems.
Someone before suggested that my heat shield might have been loosen and that might be rattling. Can anyone direct me to it? Thanks

Yeah the service works out to about 800-900 dollars (just talked to them again). Really surprising but I have in front of me the price breakdown of everything they have to flush, change, etc. and it works out good.

No money for all that right now though, maybe Ill just have tranny power flush for $125.

Dimitry

dennisrodz
05-27-2004, 02:49 PM
$64 for replacing the serpentine belt? Wow, I paid around $20 for mine and replaced it myself without using any tools. It only takes 5-10 minutes depending on how long can you hold the tensor down. :)

amigo-2k
05-27-2004, 04:10 PM
I payed st charles like 17 bucks for my s-belt and it took my dad and I 3 minutes to remove the old and replace it with a new one.

Here is a link for what to change check at 30k
http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faqa

Most quotes I've heard from others having it done at the dealt is 350-400.

Key things to replace, air, fuel filter, change oil, change PCV, clean EGR, change front and rear diffy fluid, flush the tranny, flush the radiator, yank the lower hose on the power stearing fluid and then top it off.

Also, you could flush the brakes, and repack the front bearings (which is a waste in my mind unless you you do a lot of deep water crossings or offroad in the mud).

Everything else, is a check this check that.

Honesty, if your a novice with a wrench, you can do everything in my first list except the flush the tranny bit (I let my dealer do mine 90.00).

If you do things yourself document it and keep that recipt. I have a notebook with the entire history of my truck just in case (gotta love the 10yr/120 warranty!).

-Ryan

MACH19
05-29-2004, 01:30 PM
actually, front bearing repack is a good idea on these vehicles, if only because they have a tendency to loosen up. Ive tightened mine down a couple times, and I suspect this is the real reason behind the 30K mile bearing check. you dont really need to repack them, but if they are loose, take care of it.

johnsm
05-30-2004, 01:01 AM
This sounds like Canadian prices. I paid 60 for my serpentine belt. This included labour in removing the old one and installing the new one. I look back and realize that I could have bought the belt at canadian tire store and easily installed it myself. I was also quoted 900 for that check up.

You got to keep things in Isuzu perspective. Your money is not your money, your just holding it for some sleazeball mechanic at the Saturn/Isuzu stealership. If you can do your own maintenance all the better. If your still under warranty, protect it by having licensed mechanics do the work. Keep all reciepts until you sell the car.

If you are in Toronto tell me what dealerships you are going to. I will tell you one to stay away form.

John

Dimitrix
05-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Nah Im from Pittsburgh, PA

Wright Automotive Group .com
They're big in my suburbs (just check out their site) and their isuzu dealership is just a few minutes away.

Dimitry

Add your comment to this topic!