Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jetta 2000 a/c fuse

losbourn
05-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know what number is for the a/c fuse and the amp it uses?

Thanks!

bighugerabbit
05-27-2004, 04:09 PM
if you find out, please let me know too. same problem. i have a feeling that there may be a separate relay somewhere not in the fuse panel

boschmann
05-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Several fuses power different aspects of the system. Automatic air uses fuses #5 (7.5A), #25 (25A). Also there are fuses #16 (10A) and #8 (30A) both indirectly involved for the cooling fan circuit. Manual air uses the same fuses for primary A/C functions, but asdditionally uses fuse #3 (30A) for the cooling fan.

bighugerabbit
05-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Several fuses power different aspects of the system. Automatic air uses fuses #5 (7.5A), #25 (25A). Also there are fuses #16 (10A) and #8 (30A) both indirectly involved for the cooling fan circuit. Manual air uses the same fuses for primary A/C functions, but asdditionally uses fuse #3 (30A) for the cooling fan.

Is there a separate relay for the a/c not in the fuse panel? My a/c compressor won't even engage and I think it is electrical rather than mechanical. Any suggestions? I have checked all fuses and all are ok.

boschmann
05-28-2004, 02:45 PM
I don't think there is a relay to check. There are temp cutout sensors, pressure sensors, and a couple of smaller modules. Are you sure there is enough of a charge on the system to allow it to run? If you want to try it youself you can buy a cheap kit at any automotive store that will alow you to add some 134a refrigerant. If you do, get the kit that has a small gauge (shows only green/yellow/red, not psi) on the adapter so that you can be sure you are not overcharging the system.

bighugerabbit
06-01-2004, 12:00 PM
I don't think there is a relay to check. There are temp cutout sensors, pressure sensors, and a couple of smaller modules. Are you sure there is enough of a charge on the system to allow it to run? If you want to try it youself you can buy a cheap kit at any automotive store that will alow you to add some 134a refrigerant. If you do, get the kit that has a small gauge (shows only green/yellow/red, not psi) on the adapter so that you can be sure you are not overcharging the system.

[bighugerabbit] I had a friend/master mechanic check the pressure on the system. He told me that there was plenty of pressure. That was his first thought as well (low pressure/sensors etc) It seems as though the compressor isn't getting the electric signal it needs to engage the clutch etc. I had another guy look at it ( i am trying to avoid spending hundreds just in diagnostic) and he felt the same way in regards to no power to the compressor. He thought there might be a separate relay or fuse panel for the A/C. I checked the connectons to the compressor and all seem ok. This is a conundrum. Please help in any way you can.

boschmann
06-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Is that manual (buttons to turn it off/on) or automatic air (like a climate control)?

bighugerabbit
06-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Is that manual (buttons to turn it off/on) or automatic air (like a climate control)?

It is manual, not climatronic. Both buttons illuminate when depressed ( A/C and Recirculate) The fan runs, but even if you leave the A/C button depressed for a few minutes, the clutch and compressor still do not engage.

boschmann
06-03-2004, 04:46 PM
It sounds like it could be the pressure switch, thermal switches or the A/C module itself. You'll need a manual w/wiring schematic to repair.

bighugerabbit
06-07-2004, 11:08 AM
It sounds like it could be the pressure switch, thermal switches or the A/C module itself. You'll need a manual w/wiring schematic to repair.

That sounds pretty complicated. Thanks. I wish it was something easy like a fuse!

johnny d
08-04-2004, 09:11 AM
I have recently been troubleshooting my AC system to find that i have 9 Volts at the compressor??? should be 13V with the car running....how could this be i wonder...probably wiring, but it does sound like the problem you are having. I will be doing some more troubleshooting tonight after work but i suspect the ground circut for the clutch....any other ideas???

Ana Marena
08-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Johnny D, same prob, posted earlier about my prob and voltage reading, still trying to get it figured out without success so far. If you find an answer before I do, please post and I will do likewise. Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!