Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition Problem

jgeorg
05-26-2004, 10:13 PM
I can't seem to get the key to move to the accessory position on my '91 LeSabre limited when I turn it counter-clock-wise. Any suggestions on what is causing this and how I can fix it is appreciated. I'm guessing that there is an accessory position on the ignition.

Dr Sparks
05-28-2004, 12:20 AM
No doubt after these many years the lock cylinder and switch body are tired. At any rate, it could also be a case of misalignment of the switch down on the lower end of the column. The switch mount bracket allows the switch to slide a bit for proper alignment with the actuator rod, which is operated by the turning of the lock cylinder. To slide the switch body into alignment you loosen the two 5/16" hex head fasteners on each side of the assembly, which is located on top of the column, lower end. Slide assembly up towards the wheel, against the rod while your other hand turns the lock cylinder until everything feels and operates normal again.

jgeorg
06-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Do I have to remove the steering wheel to get to the cylinder. The Haynes manual mentions that a special tool is need to remove the steering wheel, which I don't have.

Dr Sparks
06-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Yes. It's a lock ring depresser tool, depresses the spring loaded lock ring so you can remove a retainer from the shaft. You're also in air bag territory. I'd leave it up to a pro unless you're familiar with the set up. Remember, that's the equiv. of a primer from a 105mm artillery shell that does the deploying.

Add your comment to this topic!