Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

intermittent seized pulley on 97 Aurora...loud!

radvra
05-26-2004, 12:47 PM
My A/C went kaput a week or so ago, and after an initial check the fault was thought to be a sensor...which has not been confirmed because I have to take the car back on Friday for a full scan.

In the meantime, when I start the car sometimes I get a way loud noise like a belt skidding across a siezed pulley somewhere. I suspect the compressor clutch or something related to the A/C, but when I shut the engine off and try again -no noise.

Anybody experience this with A/C failures? My mechanic says it is an electrical problem but I am not so sure.

TSLDave
05-26-2004, 02:50 PM
You're right about the belt skidding ........ but if it stops squealing, its not a seized pulley, just a loose or worn belt. After it warms a bit, it won't make the noise, which is why it sounds ok after restart. Temporarily, if you can't tighten it, you can spray it with belt dressing (makes the belt sticky). Replacing the belt is relatively easy and inexpensive

radvra
05-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the input. I replaced the smaller of the 2 belts about a year ago...which was relatively easy. I am told that the larger (wider)serpentine belt is a bit of a challenge to replace...something about removing the passenger side front tire and tearing through the shielding to get to the engine?? not sure about this.

Still waiting for the call from the mechanic to tell me what the damage ($) is on the A/C. hoping for a sensor replacement vs. the compressor, but we'll see. Spring time in MD without A/C is not so bad (even if I have to dodge the cicada's)....summer is a different story.

Thanks for the tip about the belt dressing...I'll give it a try.

Add your comment to this topic!