Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A question about putty

DSM-Mark
05-26-2004, 12:44 PM
I'm doing some modifications with Tamiya epoxy putty (quick type) which I have used quite a bit before. The thing I always find frustrating with it is how hard it gets and subsequently how long it takes to sand out. I've noticed that other people use other types of putty for touchups and finishes.

I'm looking for a putty that is easy to spread out, and easy to sand out. It doesn't matter if it is 2-part or 1-part, although 1-part would be preferable.

I've used Bondo Spot & Glaze (Testors Putty) and really did not like it. It is very crumbly and also shrinks. Very hard to get a nice smooth surface out of. So if you can avoid these properties, all the better.

Thanks for your input.

DSM-Mark
05-26-2004, 12:46 PM
I should add that I have reasonably easy access to Squadron White and Green putty, as well as Milliput, but should be able to find pretty much anything you throw out at me. I live in a big city and have a car, so if it exists, I can probably get it. Thanks!

lotusmark2
05-26-2004, 01:01 PM
I use Isopon P38 easy sand car filler, does the job well, does not shrink and is a piece of cake to sand.

proosen
05-26-2004, 04:41 PM
I use Humbrol putty and dilute it so I can put it on with a brush. Very little needed to correct a problem and therefore little sanding. Dries fairly quick so you can put on another layer if needed.

Niclas

mike@af
05-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Evercoat Eurosoft

Or for touch up Squadron White. I used to hate Squadron but its actually pretty good for touch ups and filling joints between styrene.

935k3
05-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Try this stuff, you will love it.
Dynatron (http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=630)

DSM-Mark
05-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Wow. Thanks for the responses. Pretty much every one mentioned I've never even heard of before.

I was at a hobby shop today (before seeing these replies) and bought a tube of Squadron Green for less than $5 CAD. But I can't remember if Green was the good one, or if White was the good one. Anyway, I can always take it back.

Again, thanks for the replies. I may have to do some shopping for some of this stuff. Some of it (eg. Isopon P38) look pretty expensive though.

DSM-Mark
05-26-2004, 07:23 PM
I use Humbrol putty and dilute it so I can put it on with a brush. Very little needed to correct a problem and therefore little sanding. Dries fairly quick so you can put on another layer if needed.

Niclas

What do you dilute it with?

bvia
05-26-2004, 08:05 PM
The eurocoat and dynatron are good.

I personally use 3M Piranha

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GS115Q82Z0gs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_MNBQS66K2Wbl/gvel_VBF19DZVHXgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

hth,
Bill

geofroley
05-27-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm waiting on some Tamiya Smooth Epoxy Putty. I'll tell you guys how it goes.

Add your comment to this topic!