Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Shocks Compressor - R&R

dwbyard
05-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Looking for info on replacing the compressor for the rear air shocks in my '96 Aurora. Right now I may be checking the junk yards after the dealer said his price was $408.98.

The problem (rear end noise) may also be the sensor switch (dealer price $298.98) for the compressor. Again, any advice on R&R of the switch would be appreciated.

Isnibs
05-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Did you get your compressor pressure tested?

I'm not sure but I think there is a compressor head rebuild kit that could fix the problem for a lot less bucks.
Also there is an easy test for your sensor switch

dwbyard
05-27-2004, 12:02 PM
The problem was diagnosis at an Oldsmobile dealer and once they determined it was either the compressor or the sensor switch they stopped because they wanted more cash to proceed - that's where I had them stop.

What's the easy test for the switch?

RoraStar96
05-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Lets see if I can help, I have an interesting ELC story that you may find something to relate too.

Last October when I had my exhaust done, I noticed tears in the rubber airbags of my rear suspension. I ordered 2 new rear shocks. Once they were installed, the airbags did not inflate. Now underneath the car you will locate an electrical box with wires leading to it and then leading to the ELC sensor and compressor. I noticed that one of the male connectors was corroded beyond belief. We cleaned that and reattached....nothing. Then when I got home, I heard a distinct whirrrring sound. Walked to the back of the car to notice the back end totally jacked up rally styles. Not good. Went to the dealer and made some discoveries.

The ELC sensor was not sensing proper right height, so once the wiring was cleaned and reconnected the compressor kicked in, but didnt know when to stop. Diagnosis: Bad ELC sensor. $498 for that sensor and sensor arm. I found one on Ebay for remarkably less and installed it. Now the system works.

A good cheap test is to weight down the back of the car and see what happens. Chances are the sensor is dead. At least thats my gut feeling based on what yer saying.

Frankly when (not if) the system fails again. I wont use the ELC system anymore, I will upgrade to stiffer KYB shocks or something along that line.

I want to keep the back end good and stiff so that when I acclerate the back end doesnt drop as much.

I dont know if I was much help, but its a decent story...hehe :P

dsatt12
05-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Frankly when (not if) the system fails again. I wont use the ELC system anymore, I will upgrade to stiffer KYB shocks or something along that line.

I've got the plug pulled on my compressor at the moment. Dunno if it'll work when I get around to new shocks either.

I'd have to say I miss it about as much as the traction control that I refuse to fix until there's something actually wrong with my wheel hubs.

Isnibs
05-27-2004, 09:11 PM
In your first post you wrote " The problem (rear end noise) " your compressor could be the cause of the noise, if so,the system could be leaking and not reaching the required pressure to inflate your air shocks and lift the back end of your Aurora.
First check out the air bags for damage, if they look O.K.
Find a shop that can check the compressor pressure and if that is good - while it is still on the hoist check the wires going to the sensor if they are good -disconnect the sensor arm at the chasis- turn on the ignition- move the sensor arm up, wait fifteen or so seconds - the compressor should kick in and lift the rear end - move the arm down - wait fifteenish sec's - the compressor should cut out - the air bags deflate and lower the rear end.

Add your comment to this topic!