Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

checking refrigerant

buck1
05-26-2004, 09:02 AM
'89 Park Ave. a/c clutch is not engaging. Was advised to check freon level. Can someone give a simple, yet somewhat detailed explanation of this procedure? Also, if you know of another possible cause for the clutch problem, please let me know. Don't want to go to GM service dept. if avoidable. TIA, Buck

mjgjr72
05-26-2004, 10:09 AM
need gauges to check level or pressure in system, could be pressure switch look for round switch on a/c lines, unplug connector and jump connector pins with paper clip, if clutch ingages could be switch or low on freon if not. use test light and check connector at compressor to see if you are getting power ,if you are you have a bad clutch

Doug Rodrigues
05-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Gauges aren't that expensive. You can buy them for about $70 if you look around hard enough. Be aware that the Freon 12 gauges and the R-134 gauges have different fittings. You may have to buy the adapters too, but they're fairly cheap....about $15 total. If you have the Freon 12 system, you'll have to convert to R-134 because Freon 12 can only be installed by a dealer or licensed shop. If that's the case, you would need a vacuum pump to completely empty the system of the old Freon 12 and any moisture collected in the receiver/drier. By now this is starting to sound complex. It may be worth it to have a shop change your system over to R-134 so that in the future you won't have to hassle with the Freon 12 again....that is until the patent runs-out for the R-134. When that happens the manufacturer will begin to push for making that "now discovered dangerous to the atmosphere" R-134 be replaced with yet another new type freon that only the major manufacturer can sell. ....but that's another story.

buck1
05-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did check for voltage at the compressor and had none. I'll look for the switch and try that. As you said Doug, it is a bit complex, especially for a non-mechanic. I'll probably have a shop look at it after I check the pressure switch(if I find it). Thanks again. Buck

Add your comment to this topic!