Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Door stuck shut ???

dualcarb88
05-25-2004, 08:12 PM
I have a 90 Accord EX, daughter took it for a drive, when she came back the drivers door would not open, from the inside or the out. So I removed the drivers seat to take the door panel off, and I still can't get the darn thing open !!!!!!! The door feels like it is locked all the time, although you can see the lock acuator move. ??? it really has me puzzled........

Thanks for any help

Hatrick101
05-26-2004, 12:38 AM
did she have an accident? maybe bent the frame a little. Just a thought

AccordCodger
05-26-2004, 07:58 AM
You really have me intrigued. Apart from the horrifying picture of your removing the driver's seat without being able to open the driver's door ----!

HOW did you get the door panel off? Maybe it's different in a '90 (mine's a 93), but in mine, when the door is closed, the door panel is sandwiched between the door and the dorr flame, and you CAN'T get it off. Anyway - enough of that!

Maybe the childproof lock is engaged, which means the inside door handle wouldn't work anyway [umm - IS there a childproof lock on the DRIVER'S door??]. Then, if the outside handle mechanism is disconnected (easy if the little plastic clip(s) break), NEITHER handle will work.

One suggestion - get your local friendly locksmith to open it for you - at least you won't have to work on it while it's closed!!

JimmyzGarage
05-27-2004, 03:11 PM
I have a 90 Accord EX, daughter took it for a drive, when she came back the drivers door would not open, from the inside or the out. So I removed the drivers seat to take the door panel off, and I still can't get the darn thing open !!!!!!! The door feels like it is locked all the time, although you can see the lock acuator move. ??? it really has me puzzled........

Thanks for any help

This happened to me a few years ago on our 91 accord. The door latch mechanism is broken inside the door. The bright engineers at Honda made them out of plastic. The part is almost $270 USD!! I took mine to the dealer and they fixed it. Based upon what they said, you will have to take the interior panel off. I believe there is some cutting and drilling involved. This may be something that you let the dealer handle. I believe it take 2.5 hr labor for them to do it.

dualcarb88
05-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Hatrick101,
no know collisions

Accordcodger,
taking the drivers seat out of the car was quite easy, 4-14 mm bolts, and it is free...... The door panel was a bit more difficult I did manage to break 2 of those plastic push pins. The locksmith is a good idea, I had consulted a body shop, and will pay them a visit next week....

JimmyzGarage,
I am begining to believe the latch is broken inside the door as it sits, and should be a real test, my bodyshop man assure me that he can get it open ?????

Thanks

DC88

JimmyzGarage
05-29-2004, 03:46 PM
DC88,

Keep us updated on what you had to do to fix it. If you've got the interior panel off, I'll bet that there is a way to unlatch the door or break off the old latch from within.

1MYSTIKLXI
05-30-2004, 10:43 PM
need similar solution on the same vehicle!!?!!??!?!? :1zhelp:

dualcarb88
06-04-2004, 02:32 AM
I was tinkering around with the rear door latch, out of the car..... and noticed a lever that opens the latch no matter if the latch is locked, or childproofed........ I think the front latch will be the same, (son graduating High School this week-end) will look at it on sunday, and let you all know !!!!

DC88

dualcarb88
06-11-2004, 03:20 PM
I finally got the door open, it wasnt pretty, had to cut and chisel it out of the door......2 hours with a 3" cutting wheel.....

I did find a release on the pass. side latch, but could not figure out how to get to it !!!

hope this helps

DC88

JimmyzGarage
06-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I finally got the door open, it wasnt pretty, had to cut and chisel it out of the door......2 hours with a 3" cutting wheel.....

I did find a release on the pass. side latch, but could not figure out how to get to it !!!

hope this helps

DC88

So, how many times did the thought of cutting the whole door off enter your mind while you were trying to cut away in that little space? :biggrin: And how many times did curse the engineers at Honda for designing that part with nylon components?

thanks for the update!

lorunner
06-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Yeah thats the only way to open it is to drill and cut away at the first layer of the latch in order to get to the mechanism to unlatch it :(

dualcarb88
06-28-2004, 03:16 PM
After about 2 hours on my hands and knees, waiting for my air compressor to catch up with me........ :banghead: :banghead: .

More frustrating was not being able to figure out how to get to the re-lease mechanism, all the door latches have them, move the lever and the latch re-leases, locked or not...............

DC88

Add your comment to this topic!