Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dash Lights Out, ANY HELP APPRECITED

sasquatch2550
05-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi, my 97 1500 5.2 4x4 ram dashboard guage lights stopped working yesterday, checked the fuse, its good, guages work, overhead light works when i turn the dimmer knob/ headlight on, off control. Headlights work. Looked in my chilton manual and the instrument cluster guts is a circuit board, the bulbs plug right into it. Anyone that has had this prob, or any advice at all would be helpful, thanks, Jeff

indyram
05-26-2004, 12:07 AM
I had that happen a while back when I was driving down a bumpy road and they went off. They came back on like a day later. I changed the fuse and nothing, then a day later what do you know. Did you check all of the fuses it may be another fuse that fried and is affecting it other than that particular one.

sasquatch2550
05-26-2004, 09:10 AM
ill check all the fuses, then im gonna replace the headlight knob switch, then curse and grit my teath if they still dont work. thanks, Jeff

RoninRam
06-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Happened to me a couple times, intermittently.
Then one night the Headlights shut off briefly...(yikes)
Did some searching on the web, apparently the headlight switch assembly on the dash sometimes fails intermittently. They're about 75 bucks to replace. Replaced the switch, and no more issues.
Good luck...

Karen512
06-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Dodges are notorious for poor electrical systems. One had a 98 cummins dually that you couldn't turn off because it wouldn't start up again for an hour or so. The dash lights also were very unreliable.

Decebal
06-16-2004, 08:54 PM
You don't have the ground to the chassy or car body.

Very simply to do take a wire connect it to the negative terminal of the battery and bolt it on the chassy.
Note make sure to scrape all paint and rust that the wire will come in contact with.

Hope this helps
Decebal

Add your comment to this topic!