Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where's the Transmission Dipstick? (Seriously)

vr62k
05-25-2004, 10:42 AM
I have a 2000 Jetta VR6 and I believe the automatic transmission is slipping. Where is the dipstick so I can check the transmission fluid level? I understand that some hard shifting is typical during vigorous driving, but I'm experiencing irregular and sloppy transmission shifts.

Furthermore, I have a Check Engine light on the dashboard. Is there a sensor for the transmission fluid and if so would it illuminate the Check Engine light?

Any assistance would be especially helpful.

boschmann
05-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Checking fluid level on that car officially requires a scan tool. The fluid level must be checked at a certain temp & through a small plug in the bottom of the pan (looks like a drain plug, but actually has a tube that drains off excess fluid to the proper level). To add fluid there is a plug in a small tube at the front of the transmission. It requires a special fluid.

vr62k
05-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Is there a way to check the fluid w/out a tester? I'd rather do it myself and save the $98 diagnosis charge + hourly rate. Speaking of testers to pull codes etc. Do you know of a good tester to pull VW codes?

boschmann
05-26-2004, 04:26 PM
You would have to guess, the specified temp is basically normal operating temp. A little fluid will always come out of the level checking tube (there is actually a small tube that extends up from the plug in the bottom) when you pull the plug, even if it's low. The problem is that you don't know how much is in there unless alot comes out (in which case it was overfilled). Therefore you would have to put some in through the short plugged fill tube at the front to see it start coming out the overflow tube, then you know it's at the right level. It may be easier to just remove the pan & change all the fluid & filter. Remember it's special fluid $$$. The best scan tool for VW is a VAG-COM, which uses a PC as an emulator of the factory scanner. That way you can access all VW functions, not just the OBDII ones.

dollarbill89
04-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I have a 1999 V/W jetta that will not start. The reason for not starting is because the number 14 fuse keeps blowing. I can start the car by putting a hot wire straight to the solenoid of the starter. Any ideas on why the fuse keeps blowing...

boschmann
04-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Fuse 14 powers the comfort & convenience module, the electrical connector & wiring tends to corrode & the module can short out internally.

Add your comment to this topic!