Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission breakthrough

veyron 16/4
05-24-2004, 02:00 PM
has anyone seen the new audi tt with a manual and an auto setup in the same car? if not check it out at edmunds by clicking here (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/audi/tt/100321896/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=101156)

matt11583
05-24-2004, 03:48 PM
i have seen it in other cars. i think they call it a tdi in vw's. the problem they get into in it is that they dont have much power yet. my sis was lookin at one in a jetta but in only had like 100 hp. they are very slow.

BP2K2Max
05-24-2004, 06:53 PM
i have seen it in other cars. i think they call it a tdi in vw's. the problem they get into in it is that they dont have much power yet. my sis was lookin at one in a jetta but in only had like 100 hp. they are very slow.
tdi is a abreviation for turbo-diesel, in reference to the engine.

I've seen that before and it's funny cuz i was asking a friend if it'd be possible to have two gears engaged at the same time and to just disengage the lower one once you reach it's limit, but this was a few years ago before i had ever seen or heard of these types of trannies.

DinanM3_S2
05-24-2004, 09:21 PM
I've been reading alot about DSG recently, too bad they put it in a TT instead of an S4 or the RS6, and i still think its inferior to BMW's SMG. I believe R&T did a comparison of the TT 3.2 w/ DSG vs. the Z4 3.0 w/ SMG, and the BMW smashed the Audi.

Neutrino
05-24-2004, 10:12 PM
I've been reading alot about DSG recently, too bad they put it in a TT instead of an S4 or the RS6, and i still think its inferior to BMW's SMG. I believe R&T did a comparison of the TT 3.2 w/ DSG vs. the Z4 3.0 w/ SMG, and the BMW smashed the Audi.

the thing is they are completelly different, the smg is a sequential like the Magnetti Marrelli sequential in the ferraris, the DSG is not a sequential

SaabJohan
05-25-2004, 12:07 AM
The DSG type of gearbox isn't new, for example it was used by Audi in rally during the eighties, but then it was called Porsche Doppel Kopplung or PDK.
Two clutches are used and this allows one to be connected to the engine and transmission while the onther separate the engine and gearbox while the gear are changed then the other clutch connects and one that was earlier connected is now disconnected and the gear is changed for that clutch, and then it goes on. This can basicly be seen as two gearboxes working with one engine and one output shaft each taking every other gear.

In theory this type of gearbox should be able to do very fast gearchanges, probably faster than a sequential gearbox. The disadvantage is that the system is more complex, and it's probably not as easy to get the fast gearchanges in reality as it is in theory.

It's likely that this gearbox can't handle that high torques and is therfore not used in for example RS6.

BMW:s SMG is a Sequential Manual Gearbox.

The following is Ferraris F1 gearbox from 2000:
http://tinypic.com/24c5

The gearbox is a manual gearbox with dogs instead of syncros, but you can also see the gearchanging mechanism on the side which rotates into different steps and thereby cause the gears to change. In this case it's controlled by a hydraulic actuator which is controlled by a computer. In this way it's quite simple to use buttons on the steering wheel to change gear, or even to go to semi automatic or fully automatic when the computer takes over the control of when and how the gearchanges are done. But it cal also be controlled manually, like on a motorcycle.

4ss4s1n
05-27-2004, 11:16 PM
has anyone seen the new audi tt with a manual and an auto setup in the same car? if not check it out at edmunds by clicking here (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/audi/tt/100321896/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=101156)

Heh.I just saw it this past weekend on spike TV.They claimed it was "The future of trannys".

Add your comment to this topic!