Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new car advice

pouncer
05-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Hi all, I am looking for a replacement to my 02 WRX. Only problem is I am not impressed with the selection from 30-35k. I want a car that is sporty, somewhat practical, and projects a ‘grown up’ feel (not econo car). I am strongly thinking about a TL or G35 Coupe. What NEW car would you guys get for 30-35k? Here is a breakdown of all the cars I am considering:

Acura TSX:
Pros: Good looking from some angles, nice interior
Cons: Weak, FWD, plain looking from some angles, too Accord-like, TL not much more money

Acura TL:
Pros: Great looks inside and out, strong engine, great value
Cons: FWD + 270hp = torque steer

Audi A4 3.0:
Pros: AWD, decent looks inside and out.
Cons: new model coming soon?, not an S4 don't wanna buy, expensive compared to competition, reliability issues.

BMW 330ci:
Pros: RWD, decent looks inside and out, good handling
Cons: new model coming soon, not an M3 don't wanna buy, expensive compared to competition, bad experience with BMW (reliability issues), everyone has one, expensive with options

Honda S2000:
Pros: RWD, Great exterior looks. Basic, but quality interior, excellent handling, 2 doors, convertible
Cons: just enough power, no torque, not practical for only car, oldish, new model coming soon?, convertible (but can add hardtop), sports cars should be at least mid 13 second fast not 14 second fast

Infiniti G35 Coupe:
Pros: RWD, strong engine, decent looks, 2 doors, looks and sounds fast
Cons: not that fast, ugly headlights and grill, everyone has one, heavy weight negates HP advantage

Lexus IS300:
Pros: RWD, good handling, decent looks and interior
Cons: weak, new model coming soon, dated power and looks, Civic-like look.

Mazda RX8:
Pros: RWD, lightweight, good handling, ‘238hp’
Cons: overrated at 250, 238 still feels overrated, weak, wierd looking, Mazdaspeed version coming?

Mercedes C240 sedan:
Pros: RWD, decent looks and interior
Cons: weak, not a C32/C55 AMG don't wanna buy, everyone has one, expensive with options

Mitsubishi Evolution:
Pros: AWD, Excellent power and handling, looks okay to me
Cons: econo car based, not real deal Evo, MR coming (still not real deal), too similar to my WRX, reliability issues, unstable company, crappy interior

Nissan 350Z:
Pros: RWD, decent looks, power, and handling. looks and sounds fast
Cons: not practical for only car, so many people have them, rear end and door handles ugly, heavy weight negates HP advantage, sports cars should be at least mid 13 second fast not 14 second fast

Subaru Legacy GT:
Pros: AWD, detuned STi engine, Decent looks and power. Nice interior.
Cons: plain looking, not sure I want another Subaru, Subaru enjoys screwing over customers by coming out with a higher trim level one or two years later

Subaru WRX Sti:
Pros: AWD, excellent power and handling. Looks okay to me. Upgraded interior
Cons: econo car based, not sure I want another Subaru, too similar to my WRX, okay looks, upgraded interior still not that great, the car that I should have got to begin with.

Volvo S40:
Pros: Looks okay.
Cons: Boring…………. Snore………..

MunG35
05-24-2004, 12:24 AM
G35 Coupe... tr3s l33t own5 r0x0rz y0ur b0x3rz GET ONE!!! BOTTOM LINE!!! we bought a TL instead of the sedan but i wouldnt think twice about the quality and the purr of the g35 coupe.

rdollie
05-24-2004, 02:11 AM
Ummm, you're kidding right? The new (2004.5) Volvo S40 T5 is a nice car but if your price range is $35k then punt the S40 and get a S60R. You can buy the S60R through Volvo's Overseas Delivery program for $34,270 with leather and bi-xenons (and this price includes airfare for two, first night hotel, insurance, shipping, no destination charge, etc.) Add the Dolby Pro-Logic surround audio system option and you're still within your budget.

You've got a nice list of candidates and you will be hard pressed to find one that beats the value of the S60R (remember you get the 13" 4-pot Brembos, performance oriented AWD system that distributes power based on acceleration, Ohlins developed 4C active chassis system with driver selectable profiles, and a proper 6-speed to boot.)

Good luck.

-rollie
rdollie@att.net

Hi all, I am looking for a replacement to my 02 WRX. Only problem is I am not impressed with the selection from 30-35k. I want a car that is sporty, somewhat practical, and projects a ‘grown up’ feel (not econo car). I am strongly thinking about a TL or G35 Coupe. What NEW car would you guys get for 30-35k? Here is a breakdown of all the cars I am considering:

Volvo S40:
Pros: Looks okay.
Cons: Boring…………. Snore………..

pouncer
05-24-2004, 03:53 AM
that might have been a bit ignorant of me to classify the S40 T5 as boring. It does look nice and I bet it is a good handler. I am just not too high on Volvos, and the S40's engine output. I will probably give it a test drive and see how it is.

The S60R I forgot about as I thought it would be out of my price range. All of the advertisements from my local dealers price the S60R in the low to mid 40s. It is a decent looking car with a lot of power, but it just looks too plain and old for a car costing that much. After some research I found out a new model is in the works as well. I think an S40 with the S60R's engine and drivetrain would be perfect.

pouncer
05-24-2004, 04:08 AM
turns out the S40 T5 AWD only comes in automatic

freakonaleash1187
05-24-2004, 07:14 AM
i would either get the 350z or g35. the g35 is a more luxury car and the 350z is a more sporty car. and i have seen times in the 13s for the 350z.

rdollie
05-24-2004, 10:18 AM
turns out the S40 T5 AWD only comes in automatic

Not exactly. The manual variants hit the streets this summer (there's a 5-speed manual and the 6-speed from the s60R as well which is what I test drove.)

Oldengineer
05-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Its not on your list of candidates - but you might consider a Jag X-Type 3.0. Its right in the middle of your price range. Its quick, comes with either auto or manual 5 speed, and AWD is standard. Try one out and see what you think.

Regards:
Oldengineer

kman10587
05-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Subaru enjoys screwing over customers by coming out with a higher trim level one or two years later

I doubt they really enjoy it, but it was necessary to bring the STi here to counter the Lancer Evolution. It's not like the WRX is useless or anything. It's much cheaper and more plentiful than the STi, and much easier to handle.

DinanM3_S2
05-25-2004, 10:49 PM
C&D had the X-Type loose, to EVERYTHING... Even a Saab.

I would go for either the S2k, 350z, G35, or preferably the BMW.

I almost always say this whenever a BMW is an option, but they really are the best cars on the market.

If you want a droptop, get the Honda

If you want straight line performance, get the Z

An alternative to the Z is the Evo, but its not so easily tuned, but AWD

If you want Luxury, get the G35.

If you want an overall great car thats simply an amazing road car, get the 330Ci, or if you want more options, get a 325Ci. Better handling then anything under $50,000 except the Elise. The new version is expected to be faster, but spypicks dont look nearly as good as the E46.

BTW, the E46s are generally known as reliable vehicles.

I guess the best advice I can give you is to go to all of the dealerships of the cars your looking at and drive them all. Dont just look at numbers, because they dont tell you everything. You need to decide for yourself. Read articles on the cars and look at brochures, but you wont know until you've driven them.

kman10587
05-26-2004, 10:16 PM
BMW 3 Series are expensive, and BMW's reliability is questionable. Get a G35 coupe; it's more powerful, it's cheaper, and it's from a Japanese automaker, which means you're not likely to have many problems down the road.

DinanM3_S2
05-26-2004, 11:10 PM
The 325Ci's base price is about the same as the G35, and is better then that of a TL. You can get it pretty much fully loaded for under $35,000 unless you want Navigation.

Calling the G35 more powerful is misleading. Sure its more powerful, but it runs about the same 0-60, and 1/4 mile. And the BMW has better handling.

Where do you guys get that the BMW is unreliable??? BMWs have a tendancy to last up to around 200,000 miles when well maintained. Consumer reports says the 3-series is one of the best cars ever made. While the G35 is a relitivly younger car, made by a less experienced company. And Nissan/Infiniti are probably the least reliable of the Japanese big 3 (Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura).

MunG35
05-27-2004, 06:04 PM
BMW 3 Series are expensive, and BMW's reliability is questionable. Get a G35 coupe; it's more powerful, it's cheaper, and it's from a Japanese automaker, which means you're not likely to have many problems down the road.

:1:

BMW needs maintenance after 50,000 miles... we went in to buy a 3-series and the guy is like lease a bimmer... they break after 3 years... and my dads like screw you, i'm gonna get something else and thats how we ended up with our TL... so moral of the story: bimmers = nice ride, and pocket drainer... g35 is the best (totally unbiased) :p

Add your comment to this topic!