New to the V-Dub world.

jsurles
05-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Today I picked up an '86 Scirocco (do I get points for spelling it correctly?). It seems to be in good running order. The odometer doesn't work anymore, but it stopped at 176k. As far as drivability goes, it only needs 2 new front tires, an alignment, and engine mounts. The interior is a little dirty, and worn.. as could be expected on any 18 year old car that had a mountain of trash in it.

I paid $500 for it, so it's not bad for a 'beater' or commuter car.. gotta get that air fixed though, whoo is it hot here in the Houston area.. heh.

Anyway, I did a quick run on the VIN and it reported back a MFI I4 1.8L engine. I've been reading about 8 and 16 valve engines, but as of yet have not been able to put 2 and 2 together, to figure out which one I have.

If anyone can give me any information regarding the engine specifics, or point me where I can find them, I'd really appreciate it. An engine code would be great.. something like L32, L36, L67, LS1, LT1.. (can you tell I'm used to GM cars? heh)

Any information offered will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

boschmann
05-24-2004, 05:27 PM
16 valve engines have twin cams, 8 valve have a single cam, the valve cover is much wider & flatter on a 16V. Also it says 16V on the intake plenum & rear decal.

Srocket_3
05-24-2004, 11:53 PM
yea...if you pop your hood and not see 16v dead center under your hood, then its an 8v.....plus I don't think the 8v was MFI. my suggestion is, if the car looks worth it, is to get a 1.8l 16v or a 2.0l(from a newer golf GTI) and slap a supercharger on the sucka......then you will have a hell of a commuter.....but if its a pile its not worth it. Even a stock 1.8L DOHC 16v would be fun......very peppy cars.

good luck!

jsurles
05-25-2004, 12:13 AM
yea...if you pop your hood and not see 16v dead center under your hood, then its an 8v.....plus I don't think the 8v was MFI. my suggestion is, if the car looks worth it, is to get a 1.8l 16v or a 2.0l(from a newer golf GTI) and slap a supercharger on the sucka......then you will have a hell of a commuter.....but if its a pile its not worth it. Even a stock 1.8L DOHC 16v would be fun......very peppy cars.

good luck!

Thanks for the luck, I'll need it! Well, it definately looks like an 8v to me, it doesn't have the big flat intake manifold, and I sure as hell don't see a 16V on there, either.

As far as doing an engine swap goes, how 'involved' is it? Do these cars (86) have computers? If not, do the newer model GTI's have them? I'm not a super-star mechanic with a ton of tools.. but I've done alot of my own work on my last (well still present car) such as upgrading to higher-ratio rockers, cv's, helped with tranny and differential installs.. etc.

Assuming a 2.0l (with and/or without a S/C [assuming centrifigal]), what kinda power / times are we talking? I currently run a 2002 Pontiac GTP hitting 13.6's. I'm ditching that car for the Scirocco, but I'm not sure what rocco's are capable of.. with stock or otherwise common engine swaps.

Any information would be helpful!

PS. my $600/mo car note will not be missed, and will probably go a long way on the vw.

valley boy
06-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Howdy,

Don't know about american sciroccos but over here (UK) the 16 valves were the only ones with disc brakes all round! Also a 2.0L engine from an Audi 80 pops straight into your rocco without much trouble, but you will need a knock sensor (from an audi 80). Hope thats of help!!

Rowly

zzpza
11-05-2004, 03:15 AM
sorry to dredge up an old thread but....

re engine code, if it'an injection 1.8L 8v it's most likely a DX. if it's an 8v 1.8L carb then it'll be an EX. either way it's the first (or last, can't remember) letters of the engine number stamped on the side of the block.

for performance, you can get 1.8L to 2.1L converstion kits as well as running itb's on the injection model or quad carbs on the carb. there are many many cams available (remembering to replace the hydralic followers with a new cam) up to about 300 degrees and they respond very well to bigger valves and a gas flow.

hth

deletedalien
05-21-2005, 10:04 PM
You will find everything you need here:

Driversfound.com (http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco)

and Vin information Here:

Driversfound.com (http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/history/vininfo.htm)

Hope that helps (it did for me)

Add your comment to this topic!