Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

B18c1 swap into 99 civic ex

zerosilver19
05-23-2004, 09:50 PM
Hi i'm new to this automotiveforums.com but not new to the import world, but i am new to engine swapping. I have a 99 civic ex 5spd witht he d-series motor in it non vtec and i wanted to swap a b18c1 vtec engine in to it form a jdm website. the swap comes complete and i know what i need, but what i dont know what i need is will i need to get new engine mounts or can i use my old ones. also will i need something extra for the wiring? With the motor i plan to turbocharge it with a turbo kit from www.full-race.com arent thos manifolds sweet lookin? :icon16:

zerosilver19
05-23-2004, 09:51 PM
oh and also whats a better intake since i want an aftermarket intake before i turbo it so i dont have to use the stock one. my choices are injen cold air or aem cold air.

95TegSE
05-24-2004, 03:48 AM
oh and also whats a better intake since i want an aftermarket intake before i turbo it so i dont have to use the stock one. my choices are injen cold air or aem cold air.
Cheap Ebay intake with a K&N filter serves the purpose. Only thing different about AEM and Injen is the fact that they have CARB stickers. So if you're worried about being pulled over, you should probably go with name brand.

civicHBsi91
05-24-2004, 05:28 AM
Do more research.....

You didnt even know your car is equiped with vtec, the engine code is d16y8 and it is a single cam "SOHC" vtec.

zerosilver19
05-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Well if its a vtec then wouldnt it say on the valve cover? thats what made me believe it wasnt, but then again it does sometimes pull like one.

zerosilver19
05-24-2004, 11:46 AM
and woulndt there be a vtec solinod on the pass side of the motor...

95TegSE
05-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Your car does indeed have a SOHC VTEC engine. I think that after 1995 or so, Honda stopped stamping VTEC on the SOHC valve covers. I'm not quite sure when they made the change. But you do have a D16y8. I also suggest that you do research if you plan on swapping in a B18C and turbo'ing it. It's not going to be as simple as a bolt-on modification. Turboing any motor, including the one you have in your car takes time, effort, and a lot of knowledge.

zerosilver19
05-24-2004, 01:49 PM
ok well my car havin vtec i didnt know of, lol..i thought just the del sols had that option of a sohc vtec. but anyhow i do know turboing the gsr motor isnt simple, i have knowledge of building up motors such as i built up a b16a2 for my buddis civic si, that he put a fmax turbo on it and also build a 1999 type r motor for a supercharger from vortech. so i do have building up motors for boost knowledge, just i've never done a swap before and i read that its really not that hard just follow a helms manual for both the DOHC and my car, now for wiring i need to see what i'm workin with so i'm so so at that. But i do know i need the 99-00 si rear tranny mount to put a b18c1 in to my 99ex but i dont know if i need to replace the other mounts and if i do with what?

scallywag
05-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Ya, the d16y8's vtec really doesn't produce power like you would think it should. The SOHC vtec's really were made for fuel economy, not performance. That is probably why people dont realize that they have a vtec

zerosilver19
05-24-2004, 06:51 PM
that could be it lol y i didnt relize, i never really cared to learn anything about the d series motor, but back to my question. what motor mounts will i need to install a 99 gsr motor in to my 99civic ex. i do know i need an 99 si rear tranny mount but what about driver side, pass, etc mounts. i know taht wireing for my gsr vtec will be easier now that i know i do have a vtec motor in my ex. damn sohc vtec suck...

zerosilver19
05-25-2004, 04:47 PM
ok well i did more reserch and foudn what bracktes i need such as just the si rear mount and a a/c bracket from a 94-97 vtec del sol to keep my radaitor.

Add your comment to this topic!